Back to Basics

More
4 years 1 month ago #21842 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Back to Basics
Brian I admire your tenacity - should be an easy jigsaw with each piece being square.
Which model did you finally choose ?

Colin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago #21843 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Thank you Colin, I think "Mean and Pennypinching" would be a better description. The model is one I've admired for a long time, and as I haven't flown much over the last couple of years, a slow flying trainer type with forgiving characteristics would get me back to model flying without any drama.
The model is a Sig Kadet, I can't remember when it was introduced, but it was long before I took up flying R/C models. The downloaded plan isn't dated, but I think its an early version of the model, however the plans have an additional sheet that shows details of a wing modification allowing ailerons to be fitted. This version of the model is no longer available, Sig produce the model as an ARTF called Kadet Senior. Some time ago I was thinking of building a Telemaster, I even got as far as buying the wood from Balsa Cabin, must've been a fit of something or other as I was currently building a Flair Hannibal, and I was trying to revive a huge Lysander. Fortunately I've had all the sheet etc in stock for a while, just hope the woodworm haven't had a go at it.
Attachments:

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago #21856 by Brian
The print trimming took longer than I thought, but I'm in no hurry 'cos when this project ends I've only 3D printing to fall back on. Although I bought a Rubik's Cube years ago, that should help while away an hour or so. The box of craft knives and spare blades was bought when we were in Australia some years ago when £1 bought A$2.50, since then prices have equalled or exceeded those found at home. This little box cost A$8.0, I'll leave you to work out the cost in £. It has no country of origin marked on it, neither does it have a label. It couldn't have been made in China as the blades hold their edge far better than X-Actos, and the collets are all metal, not like the nasty frail plastic ones that look like the real thing but won't take any pressure.
Attachments:

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #21874 by Brian
There's been a slight delay in the Sig Kadet program. A short while ago I managed to wreck our old gas oven, yesterday the gleaming replacement arrived and was deposited a safe distance at the end of the drive. Now I'm a retired engineer, and most of my working life was spent on a drawing board or in the prototype workshop, reading a drawing is no problem, but the language free illustrations in the IKEA handbook had me floored. An hour or so later, SWMBO asked politely if there was "a problem". I assured her there wasn't, I was only being extremely careful as we can't get help, well strictly speaking we could, but its a challenge (like....innit?).
I'll not bore you with the blow by blow installation. We did end up with a working oven by seven in the evening. I took a hot shower to ease the ache in muscles that I never knew I had. Then I discovered that my junk room cum office had been "aired" as it was such a nice day. The Kadet prints were in disarray caused by the late afternoon breeze. Today my first task is to solve the jigsaw, never done one this early in the day, I can't remember if we have any Sellotape. I wonder if going to the Post Office to get some rates as a valid reason for being out and about?
I should explain that I took out a gas oven, the replacement is electric, the connections were made through a 13A fused switchable spur box.( Best quality B+Q)
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Brian.

More
4 years 1 month ago #21876 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Back to Basics
Sounds like you'e having fun in self-isolation!

Brian wrote: connections were made through a 13A fused switchable spur box.( Best quality B+Q)

I assume your new cooker is rated less than 3kW

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 month ago #21877 by Brian
Sure is Mike, oven and grill are rated at just under 1kW and its an "either/or" situation. I think its safe, I worked out that its about 4.5Amps

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds