F9f grumman panther

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 8 months ago #5732 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic F9f grumman panther
John you are spot on in your detective work B)
Iv done a fair bit of research on the American forums regarding the panther and 90% of them have gone with an 80 size turbine. The flight reports are all very positive so hopefully I will be able to gell with it very quickly. I have made some changes to the airframe construction to help with the higher flying loads as it was originally designed for os91 ducted fan. The mods I have made are adding vertical sheer webs on every rib, extended the wing tubes to pass through 3 ribs instead of 2 and run spruce strip on each side of the wing socket with an epoxy fillet.Reinforcement around the retract mounts and used heavy duty robarts instead of pin hinges.The airframe will be covered in 25g glass cloth with 2 coats of z epoxy.
Dave as for the scheme I will probably go for the blue and yellow of the us navy blue angels display team.As for radio I will use a 9 ch Powersafe with 2 no 4500 life bats, 2s 3700 lipo for the turbine and 2s 2100 lipo for retracts and high torque digital on the surfaces except for the flaps which will have high torque non digital. Iv decided to go this route as the flaps are massive on the panther and was concerned with the current draw if I used digital, when the flaps are fully deployed at 60 degrees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 8 months ago #5762 by flyingpete
Hmmmm lots of wires and pipes
Attachments:

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 7 months ago #6074 by flyingpete
Didn't fancy sleeping much this weekend and running short of cloth on David's vampire and the threat of the wife giving me a list of jobs to do I shut the garage door and attacked the panther.
The airframe was much easier and quicker to glass than the vampire so was ready for a solid 5 hr stint of cutting back with wet and dry.
then a coat of primer another rub down with 1200 grit paper and another coat of primer and top coat.
I hand cut all the lettering from vynal and applied to airframe. After the guick demise of my hurricane I couldn't face another lengthy stint on scale detailing so I have drawn the panel lines on with a fine tip permanent marker,they are a bit bold at the moment but they will fade a bit in the sunlight but still look very affective.
Iv just emerged from the garage and it's Sunday already and the wife's dulcet tones"where the he'll have you been" anyways a pic of the panther
Attachments:

More
8 years 7 months ago #6075 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic F9f grumman panther
:ohmy:

Blimey, you're going to be flying it next weekend at the jet day at this rate!!

Looks very nice.

More
8 years 7 months ago #6077 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic F9f grumman panther
Another incredible build rate Pete

More
8 years 7 months ago #6078 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic F9f grumman panther
Looking good, are either of the airframes going to be displayed at the Jet and EDF event?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds