Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

More
8 years 6 months ago #6736 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Tail Plane
I must need new glasses, because I can't see section HH or II. However, the vertical stab and the block at the base, were just butt jointed on the BA. Plenty strong enough unless you cartwheel it, in which case you've probably got more to worry about than a broken fin.

As for the single 15mm or laminated 1/4 1/8 1/4...I'll probably go for a single soft sheet in order to eliminate glue lines. A sheet that thick will be warp-resistant, IMHO.

And you asked about contest grade balsa. All you're getting with contest grade is someone sorting through the pile of light balsa and hand-picking the lightest pieces. It might have been worth it years ago, but the quality of light balsa from Balsa Cabin is good enough to not bother with paying the premium, IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6737 by
Replied by on topic Tail Plane

MikeSeale wrote: .... Plenty strong enough unless you cartwheel it, in which case you've probably got more to worry about than a broken fin.

You've seen my landings haven't you? :)

Thanks for the details regarding what you did on the Blue Angel, and intend to do on the Atlas. I'll start work on a wood list, but maybe once I've done it I could look at yours before I order just in case I missed something.

Here is H-H and I-I:

Attachments:

More
8 years 6 months ago #6738 by MikeSeale
I still can't see where you're getting the sections from. The only pdf at the start of the thread is the RCM&E article and the sections you show must come from a kit with numbered parts.

Once the fuselage rear end is nearing completion it will become clearer whether it is necessary to let the fin drop all the way to the top of the tailplane or just go with a butt joint on top. It might be necessary to drop a shaped piece of 15mm balsa into the gap between the numbered pieces 34 in order to sand it to shape. Than remove the infill and replace it with the real fin. You certainly can't sand 34 to shape if the fin is already there.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6739 by
Replied by on topic Tail Plane
Hi Mike,

The original Outerzone link in the first post no longer works! so here is the new link:

www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5517

This is the PDF plan we were originally looking at before I got the RCME plan. Sorry for any confusion.

More
8 years 6 months ago #6740 by MikeSeale
Plenty of time to decide what to do at the tail end.

As for F4, I've worked out that it probably serves to stop the fuselage sides bowing out between F3 and F5 when you pull in the rear fuselage sides. I didn't use it on the BA, but if you do add it, you might end up removing it after planking the turtle deck in order to make space for the battery and/or servos

More
8 years 6 months ago #6741 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Most model designs from early 40s to late 80s were very over designed and ended up fairly heavy due to the materials avaliable. Modern day designs fly soooooo much better using lighter materials thus giving a lighter wing loading.
I am a great fan of using liteply instead of birch ply but with an understaning you are not going to compromise structural integrity.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds