Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

More
8 years 6 months ago #6866 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Blimey! Is someone actually going to start building one of these badboy's :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #6867 by
Blimey Pete, give us a chance, my wood order went in last night, if Mike ever tells you it'll only cost £50 then add at least half again :woohoo:

Anyway, I had hoped the wood would arrive before the weekend, it looking a tad wet and windy, but alas it'll won't be shipped until Monday.

In the mean time I've been deciding how best to test the wood so that I can be confident that it meets my demanding requirements. For example we all know resonance can be very dangerous as it can shake a plane apart, so I've decided to measure the natural resonance of all the wood and ensure that I don't put harmonically similar wood next to each other, for example this piece of wood resonates to the note A when wacked:

The other thing I need to consider is the impact resistance of the wood, the size of hammer and velocity which it was swung were all scientifically calculated to simulate one of my landings. :whistle:

Please note the above image is for Simon, who berated me at the weekend for a lack of balsa bashing :evil:

Please also note, no balsa was harmed the creation of these photos.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

More
8 years 6 months ago #6868 by AlanF
That's dedicated work Chris. Are you going to fit a truss rod to adjust the wing incidence?

More
8 years 6 months ago #6869 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Chris....all this about notes and harmonic resonance? Does that mean that (God forbid it ever went in) would the sound be less or more pleasant?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6870 by
Mr Bright, how could you even contemplate such a thing, I'm shocked ;)

However I suspect it might sound a bit like this... imagine an electric guitar with a lot of distortion, now scrape the edge of the pick down the bass e string towards the nut before strumming a big fat E minor chord, and if you happen to be playing Alan's Strat, give the whammy bar a good slow wobble at the end. :pinch:

Alan, I'm contemplate the biflex tussrod and micro tilt adjustment ;)

On a serious note, when joining the extra lenght onto the fuselage side, I'm assuming the join is reinforced with the ply doubler, but is it also wise to do a scarf joint?

More
8 years 6 months ago #6871 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
It won't hurt to do a scarf joint, but the Blue Angel plan just has a butt joint and the ply holds it together. I'll do the same on the Atlas.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds