Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #6520 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
For those who might be interested, the electric setup I have in my Blue Angel is as follows:

Turnigy SK3 5045-660 motor
EMax Simon Series ESC
Zippy 40C 4000 mAh battery for 8-minute flights
Turnigy 20C 3000 mAh battery for 6-minute flights

As you can see, it is not expensive and this is probably the setup I'll put in this model.

And here's a few better images of the Atlas.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by MikeSeale.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6523 by
I'd like it to be able to take both the Turnigy 20C 3000mAh batteries that Mike has mentioned, as I've already got 4 of them, as well as the ZIPPY Compact 5000mAh 6S 25C , which I intend to get for my MythoS 50.

The single biggest outlay will probably be the retracts: www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=45901 Although I might look at putting in fixed undercarriage for the first few flights until I learn to land softly. I assume it would be easy enough to fashion some sort of block to fix the undercharge to that will substitute for the retract hardware.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6574 by
The plans arrived today, and I had an opportunity to spread them out in the club hut and have a good look at them with Steve P and Mike S. Thankfully the fuselage is all in one piece rather than split as in the PDF plans I linked to at the beginning of the thread.

Mike also tested out a different motor and few props on his Blue Angel with a view to a possible alternative power setup for the Atlas, the results looked quite hopeful, and may suite the 'slower' flight characteristics of the Atlas over the Blue Angel.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6575 by
If my memory is correct, it became known as the "Matlas". Chris - I assume I may leave the Touche at home.

Stuart

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6576 by
I think you are right Stuart, the Matlas is the MK kit of the Atlas, alas I've not found a plan of it because it would have been nice to see what, if any, changes they made in developing the kit version.

With regards to you Touche, that project has unfortunately been temporarily shelved, but once I've built the Atlas I would like to revisit it and see what adaptations would be needed to make an Aurora/Touche, I still think they are one of the most attractive planes of that era. So I hope I might be able to have a look at your plane then if that's okay.

Best wishes, Chris

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6579 by
I am up for the winter build project count me in. I think it will be a lovely plane to own

Also a good project to see how Jesse copper wires and magnets work

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.551 seconds