Starting problems....

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #4129 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Starting problems....
Dave
I have never bothered using high mineral oil mixes for running in,I have always used 40/1 fully synthetic from the start.Take it easy for the first couple of tankfuls, then let her go.It takes a little longer for the motor to bed in. I have always used belray hr1 a bit expensive but worth it
On my first dle 50 it was 3 years old and had 250/300 flights and when it did finally let go I stripped it down and it.was clean as a whistle.
Too any newbie reading my post this is my own view and not set in stone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 weeks ago #4144 by
Replied by on topic Starting problems....
Dave,
This is as should be when running in all the rubbish wet and black, if you dry it out it will stick and build up and it shows the engine is running to hot and the oil is burnning, you are not running the engine too rich just excessive oil to keep it cool (the oil acts as a coolant as well as a lubricant ) Dont reduce the oil content yet, go to a top qualitity synthetic and reduce slightly as the hours increase, if you go below 30/1 you will risk the warranty on the engine. Mineral oil burns synthetic does not so will go out the exhaust and will keep things cooler also you should be having a few drips out the exh this early in the engines life, listen to grandad, if you want to blow money away give it to RAFA.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #4146 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Starting problems....

FrankRobinson wrote: Dave,
, listen to grandad, if you want to blow money away give it to RAFA.

:lol:

My $0.02 worth. Synthetic oil is a lot more slippery due to the molecular make-up, than mineral. So running in may take a little longer but the end result will be a long service life. ;)

On first impressions I thought this item had a more primary purpose... :lol:
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by Phil Ford.

• DaveBright
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #4147 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Starting problems....
Me too..... I thought this is what Roger Scott means when he says 'd**d* chat'

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #4148 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Starting problems....
Dave man up!!! Its only your prop giving you a little love bite :P

On a serious note if it is still back firing then something is wrong and needs to be looked at

More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #4149 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Starting problems....
I agree - if you have not seen my warnings under the post i made under subject - Tuesday 24th

-Just a word of warning - When my 3W started kicking back (which was due to a faulty timing sensor) i reverted to a chicken stick but the kickbacks wrecked my carbon prop.

So the message is - If the engine kicks back during start- there is a problem which need to be investigated. If you've transferred the carb from the old engine - consider transferring the ignition unit and sensor (one at a time )
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by kevinross.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds