P51 Conversion to DLE20RA

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 6 hours ago - 9 years 6 hours ago #4336 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
Getting there now, progress is showing at last. Engine installed, all the electrics, wings completed. Repainted cowl and top of fuse to replicate a Yellow Nose Mustang of 351st Fighter Group. Got to hand paint the canopy frame though. Lots of tidying up to do once everything is checked out twice. ;)

Engine fit was tight, I knew it would be, but sits nicely. Took some thinking on getting the throttle and choke controls (the latter still neeeds a better way of operating it but minor issue) into the main fuselage. Had to make up a few custom mods to allow the RX to sit where I wanted it, seeing as the regulator was in it's position. Prop is MAS 15x8 also Inca yellow tips.

The yellow acrylic paint job on the cowl and fuselage top is Rover Inca Yellow, the nearest I could find to match the spinner. The blue rudder was sprayed in Mercedes wheel silver but is isn't as "silvery as the fuselage covering but I'll think on that one. I wanna see it fly first... :lol:

More images to come as I stumble along.... :lol:
Last edit: 9 years 6 hours ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4338 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
Hi Phil

I'm curious (and concerned) about the Fuel tank
- Does the photo show the tank fwd of the L/E but facing rearwards ?
- Is it aft of the wing T/E
- Or is it in in the upper deck space

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4340 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
Hi Phil

Looks like it is getting close now, is that the standard DLE 20 exhaust?? If it is it will be LOUD
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Chris73.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #4966 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED

kevinross wrote: Hi Phil

I'm curious (and concerned) about the Fuel tank
- Does the photo show the tank fwd of the L/E but facing rearwards ?
- Is it aft of the wing T/E
- Or is it in in the upper deck space

The tank is in it's designated position but is reversed to allow for a small gap between the tank end and firewall. This is because the carb sits partly in firewall hole that the tank would've sat in.

I have had the Muzzie running again for something to do after modifying the choke and throttle control. ;) In the near future will get it up the field for some tuning.

Chris73 wrote: Hi Phil

Looks like it is getting close now, is that the standard DLE 20 exhaust?? If it is it will be <strong>LOUD</strong>

It didnt' sound loud in my drive... ;)
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
8 years 10 months ago #4967 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
Trust me the standard DLE exhausts are useless, you can pick up a reasonably cheap Pitts exhaust which will make a big difference

More
8 years 10 months ago #4968 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED

PhilF51 wrote: The tank is in it's designated position but is reversed to allow for a small gap between the tank end and firewall.

Don't think that will allow the clunk to work very well Phil, if it stays at the back ( now front) of the tank it will be out of the fuel when the nose is raised. If it does drop to the rear of the tank it will get caught in the pipes around the bung end then be out of the fuel when you are inverted (or upright depending on where it gets caught). You might want to reconsider this arrangement!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds