• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #4298 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
SOLVED :cheer:

Removed engine and took off Walbro Carb. Lifted diaphragm cover and checked for this fork effort. On this carb the fork does not appear to slot into groove in diaphragm, although there is a groove for it. The centre diaphragm button just sits on a lever. :huh: Wetted some fuel into the carb orifices. Quickly fitted back on engine. Then checked that fuel is running out of carb line. Yep! Reinstalled engine and connected up.

Now to Alan's suggestion - Fuelled up, ign off and spun the motor over with electric starter. Ign on, and applied starter. Instantly fired up. :whistle: :) Running reasonably well although does not rev up too well but needs tweaking and breaking in. Starts on hand flick too! because I am a newbie to gas I hope one of you kind Guys will tweak it for me whilst I watch and learn... ;)
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 week ago #4299 by
HI Phil,
As I am stuck at home and a bit slow bring it round and you do the tweeking and I will tell you what to do, we can check revs and exhust and cylinder head temps if you feel like it let me know

More
9 years 1 week ago #4300 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED

PhilF51 wrote: SOLVED :cheer:

Removed engine and took off Walbro Carb. Lifted diaphragm cover and checked for this fork effort. On this carb the fork does not appear to slot into groove in diaphragm, although there is a groove for it. The centre diaphragm button just sits on a lever. :huh: Wetted some fuel into the carb orifices. Quickly fitted back on engine. Then checked that fuel is running out of carb line. Yep! Reinstalled engine and connected up.

Now to Alan's suggestion - Fuelled up, ign off and spun the motor over with electric starter. Ign on, and applied starter. Instantly fired up. :whistle: :) Running reasonably well although does not rev up too well but needs tweaking and breaking in. Starts on hand flick too! because I am a newbie to gas I hope one of you kind Guys will tweak it for me whilst I watch and learn... ;)

Good news Phil, exactly as Dave B's was except with this the fork and pin didn't even line up!! DLE clearly need some improved QC for their carbs :(

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #4301 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
The linked document below explains the diaphragm & metering needle operation and the effects of incorrect adjustment.

www.walbro.com/media/21886/hdaseries.pdf

However, my guess is that if this and other problem carbs are not assembled IAW the above - they may not be genuine Walbro carbs but Chinese - chinese copies.

Updated - just done a bit more research - Its possible that the smaller engines (like my Mintor) use the Walbro WT series carb. These carbs do not have a fork end on the lever to engage with the diaphragm spigot but do in fact rely on point contact against spring pressure

www.walbro.com/media/21907/WTseries.pdf
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by kevinross.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 1 week ago #4303 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
Hi Frank, hope you feel a bit better soon and can get up the field. Thanks for the offer, may take you up on that, but not sure when at the present moment. I assume your neighbours are used to some noise.... :lol: You got something to restrain the fuselage? Probably have to be a morning. Going off subject momentarily,

Frank, Wots Wot are back and I now have one (pre-ordered ages ago and suddenly turned up). Gonna fit mine with a 4030/08 laying around on 6 cell (1200 watts) However, there has to be a downside and a forthcoming post will explain what, why, etc. ;)

Kevin, mine is a Walbro and is fitted to the 20, 35's. The CDi is supposedly the same unit for the 20,35,55. (DLE changed the capacities because of counterfeit copies) However, rumour has it that specifically the 20's timing is 32 deg rather than the the standard 28. Not that I am concerned because I don't have that issue, I am just commenting for general info.

More
9 years 1 week ago #4305 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
Glad you got it sorted Phil..... Can be frustrating chasing a ghost!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds