P51 Conversion to DLE20RA

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 10 months ago #4969 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
Cheers Guys, I'll rethink the tank layout Jon but I got the idea from RC Forums :unsure: where they had similar issues with gas conversions in scale models and they had the tank reversed. I must admit I thought it might be an issue with the clunk up front, but maybe would work if the tank is short and also in this case it is side on. But on the other hand you have G-forces at work also which will attempt to push items and fuel to rear.

I will have look see for an alternative Pitts exhaust then..... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #4970 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
www.motorsandrotors.co/index.php?main_pa...info&products_id=179
Any use?

If you can't fit the tank in that you have, what about two smaller tanks that can go in the right way round and plumbed into a central pickup (uat).

Or the tank the right way round just set back a little?
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by DaveBright.

More
8 years 10 months ago #4972 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
Will one of these help you Phil, used these Dubro ones before, they are quality lanks and the recessed outlet might help solve your issue?

Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 10 months ago #4973 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA - SOLVED
Thanks Guys for your ideas. The original tank as in photo is taller than it is wide. It is setback from firewall by about 25mm. It is also raised slightly so the choke and throttle rods can just clear. I'll look again at a Dubro Jon, if I can find one that fits in the narrow tank space and can hold about 420cc.

In the meantime I'll see if I can turn tank and keep it roughly where it is now. I cannot remember exactly (water under bridge, etc, etc) but I am sure I have had the wings on some time ago and plane balanced with stuff where it is. We'll see... ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #4974 by
Replied by on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA
Re replacement Pitts style mufflers available for DLE's. The one I fitted to a 30 is very noisy, had to reduce outlet area to make it anything like acceptable. even the expensive ones from JE that I have on the MVVSs are louder the i like.
With the tank, this, of course, can be back from firewall as this is a pumped carb. Having said that, like Jon, I like the Dubro tanks.
Good luck.

Stuart

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #4975 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA
As it has been raining most of today and waiting on ally servo arms for CAP, I decided an indoor job was on the cards. Fitted servos into Wots Wot top wing. Put it away again :lol: and retrieved the Mustang from garage into kitchen. Fuel tank has been turned round the "normal way" and sits only 1/2 inch further back than before, so shouldn't make a major difference to C of G. Dubro tanks tend to not be narrow which I need, but wide and lower. Yes, have used them before and good tanks.

Exhaust Noisy? With limited amount of space for mufflers, whether Pitts style or not, it can be a bit of a quest to get reasonable noise reduction. Possibly pepper pot inserts? Mind you I did not expect the stock muffler to be anything else than crap! I'll measure up at a later date on the biggest can type Pitts that will fit. No rush!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds