This could be fun

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #14171 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic This could be fun
Re the ESC selection - Digital servos operating wing twist may require higher than average BEC current capability from the ESC.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by kevinross.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #14172 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic This could be fun
The designer suggested a 10A ESC, I thought the 12A would be OK. The HKing props are slightly smaller than the ones suggested too, puts less load on the motor, leaves a bit more juice for the servos...............hopefully.

More
6 years 7 months ago #14178 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic This could be fun

Brian wrote: The designer suggested a 10A ESC, I thought the 12A would be OK. The HKing props are slightly smaller than the ones suggested too, puts less load on the motor, leaves a bit more juice for the servos...............hopefully.

Hi Brian

The recommended Robbe / multiplex ESC has a 1.5 amp BEC output which i assume they have deemed suitable to power 2 x digital HS 65 servos. The data sheet on these servos says they draw 1/2 amp each at their rated max torque.

Therefore its important to consider the rated BEC output as well as the motor output
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 7 months ago #14182 by Brian
I suppose the setup really determines the power requirements. What occurred to me was that the wings rotate about the spar, so they must be pretty close to being aerodynamically balanced. That would minimise the load on the servos. Perhaps the recommended servos are a bit of an overkill, just to give snappier response.

More
6 years 7 months ago #14184 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic This could be fun
Firstly, yes, I'm interested in a group build. I agree that it is a bit expensive, but the quality of Hoellein/Gruner laser kits is second to none and that makes it better value.
Regarding the recommended parts...
I'd imagine that fuselage space will be at a premium and the recommended items will fit - perfectly. I'd definitely get the Hacker motor and HiTec servos. Battery and ESC can be substituted. The reason I'd go with the Hacker motor is I know how bullet-proof they are when used indoors and it would be difficult to find a cheap motor that is going to be exactly the same size and shape. The reason for picking the HiTec servos is that you will need a servo with a tight gear train and good centreing. There might be a good alternative but saving a few quid here is not the right place.
Finally, saving a few quid on a HK spinner and prop is really false economy. Aeronaut products will be balanced and give more power for less current than some cheap plastic and soft alloy alternative
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross, , Brian

More
6 years 7 months ago #14185 by Brian
I take your point about the HKing prop Mike, I suppose you only get what you pay for, and a fiver for a folding prop doesn't really make for a lot of confidence.I can't remember the price of the Hacker A10-7L but it seemed to cost as much as the Gurke kit. I think that powering the model with a PP motor will provide all the adrenaline I can manage, apart from that, there's no merit in using cheap servos. On the radio side, one good thing about Frsky/Taranis is they do a very neat micro receiver, XM+Micro. If a group build does get under way, would there be any merit in asking for a discount for a bulk buy?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds