Sabres and Migs and stuff

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago #2800 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Sabres and Migs and stuff

JonTappin wrote: Not looking to sell mine Alan :)

Apologies Jon, I misread your post. I blame the Badger beer - and Dave Bright obviously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #2801 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Sabres and Migs and stuff

AlanF wrote:

JonTappin wrote: Not looking to sell mine Alan :)

Apologies Jon, I misread your post. I blame the Badger beer - and Dave Bright obviously.

Badger beer (and Dave Bright) have a lot to answer for!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #2806 by
Replied by on topic Sabres and Migs and stuff
Collected the T45. Not so impressed with the foam hinges, so definately some mods in order.

The burning question now is whether to bother with undercarriage. Frank's mowing is good but will a marginally powered edf with tiny wheels get enough speed for lift off?

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #2808 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Sabres and Migs and stuff

alexc wrote: Collected the T45. Not so impressed with the foam hinges, so definately some mods in order.

The burning question now is whether to bother with undercarriage. Frank's mowing is good but will a marginally powered edf with tiny wheels get enough speed for lift off?

From what I can remember from the RCgroups thread the mods are:
The stock ESC isn't very good - consider changing to 60- of if using 4S :evil: 80 Amp
Make a foam nose cone - the plastic one will break
Re -hinge using blenderm tape or CA hinges
Consider fitting a rudder - I think you can make up a pull pull linkage from the nose wheel servo
Don't bother with undercarriage
Consider a bungee launch system
Loads of other MODS on RCgroups thread particularly on upgrading the Fan and ESC and upping to 4S Lots of reading

I should add that the thread was started in 2010 - your kit might have different components

I've just thought of something else:
On my Xeno the hinges were very stiff and I found that running two CD's pressed together either side of the hinge line squeezed the foam together and freed up the hinge. This worked very well on Elapor ie didn't split or weaken the hinge. However, I don't know whether this technique would work on EPO foam. Just like this
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by AlanF.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #2809 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Sabres and Migs and stuff
Assuming the foam hinges are flexing okay I would recommend 3M Blenderm tape along the hinge line. Virtually transparent so lets colours , etc, show through but sticks very well to EPO, EPP, etc and flexible. I have used it on my Zagi's and Habu II edf.

Blenderm used in medicine for sticking pads on to skin and even acts artificial skin on deep cuts, (The latter I can vouch for - don't ask how I know ;) ) and avoiding 4 hours in A&E....
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #2812 by
Replied by on topic Sabres and Migs and stuff
Thanks both.

I fitted CA hinges before Phil's post came through, so that's one decision made. The foam hinges were quite stiff though.

I'll leave the u/c off and check the ESC rating - I notice that some people are reporting their kit has a 50A controller, but mine has no markings - just covered in black heatshrink. I think I have a 50A controller spare though, so might use that and stick to 3S for now.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds