Back to Basics

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 7 months ago #25088 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Thanks Phil, I used your previous info to program the switch. I don't know quite how the addition of voice to the arming switch caused the mayhem this morning. Yesterday the arming switch functioned perfectly, in fact I found it a bit spooky that a simple switch in the right position could disable the throttle, but it did. After adding the voice today, and the scary power up and crash into the wall, I took the damaged motor out, and repaired the wing. Checking through the Taranis program, I found that somehow the throttle had been reversed, hence the leap across the garden. I can only be thankful that only the motor and model were damaged. This afternoon I fitted a temporary replacement motor, although it might be OK as a permanent fixture. Now "armed" and "disarmed" are true statements since I checked and rechecked the program. All tested and ready to go, how lucky can that be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #25089 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics

Brian Jackson wrote: . Now "armed" and "disarmed" are true statements since I checked and rechecked the program. All tested and ready to go, how lucky can that be?

I would not rely on luck as you have used one lucky strike already. ;) I wondered if you maybe had throttle reversed although default usually works unless someone has played around with the settings. :P Anyway at least it is flyable again and you are not suffering from slash injuries.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 7 months ago #25106 by Brian
Yesterday's unfortunate episode with a reversed throttle left me feeling a bit gloomy. I wanted to take the 4 star 20 for its first flight with a FrSky receiver. Having a motor with a bent shaft seemed to have put paid to that. I'd ordered a new shaft but that was late morning so it would be a few days before it arrived.
WRONG!
I'd forgotten how good the service is from Overlander, the new shaft arrived this morning, less than 24 hours after I placed the order
The 4 Star 20 has its motor back in and will be at Cashmoor tomorrow.
Well done Overlander!

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #25107 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics
One the most inventive excuses I have heard in a long time. :lol: Good 'ole Overlander ruined it.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
2 years 7 months ago #25109 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Back to Basics
Brian - Taking up Phil's theme, indeed you were very lucky to get away so lightly.
The 3rd possibility was that the model could have taken OFF & created mayhem
in your neighbourhood.

Catch up tomorrow.

Colin.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #25183 by Brian
Most of the activity on the model building front came to a halt at the end of July. Nothing serious, only a delivery of long awaited trellis panels. Then followed the usual mind numbing task of slopping preservative on the lot, making new cappings as only solid ones were available. Finally its all up and done and I can nip back into the shed again with a more or less clear conscience. This year has been quite eventful, it saw the completion and first flights of the SIG Kadet Senior, the dodgy refurbishment of the cranky old Panic bipe, the unexpectedly complicated refurbishment of the Flair SE5A, its first flight consisted of a ground level half roll after take off, spectacular and fortunately left the model virtually undamaged. The cause appeared to be a failed Lemon Rx receiver, which had successfully operated on the range check previous to the flight attempt. Now replaced with a FrSky item which needs a bit more setting up before trying again. Bit by bit I'm changing receivers from Spektrum to FrSky/Taranis. The first successful one was in an odd little model based on the old design "Das Ugly Stik", it was picked up in a sorry state at a "clear out" earlier in the year. Tarted up and fitted with a new four channel receiver it proved to be an exciting introduction to Taranis. I was pleased with the results, and suitably encouraged I changed the receiver in the SIG 4* 20E. This model proved to be a bit difficult to fly. It was OK on Spektrum, but control by Taranis seemed to be a lot different. Last Wednesday, I realised why the model wasn't responding as well as I'd hoped, I had completely forgotten to retrim it after the receiver change.Three trimming flights later and the 4* cruises along with almost no input from the sticks, and even better, a six minute flight leaves the 3S 2200 battery at 53%, so lots of safety there. I'm starting to clear the bench for the next project which would have been started a while ago if it hadn't been for the interesting models collected along the way. I'm sure that Jon and Kevin will be pleased to see one of the two Merco engines they donated towards my project, up and running at the front of a Mike Birch Moonglow. So far all I've done is unroll the plan and hope I can do it justice. It'll be a slow start, but with luck and patience it'll get to Cashmoor eventually. Watch this space.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Brian. Reason: Spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, kevinross

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds