Christmas Curare EP

More
8 years 5 months ago #7142 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Christmas Curare EP
I'm not sure why you thought the two motors were the same length. I'm building my Atlas to accomodate the Lipolice motor one day, but in the meantime the SK3 is mounted on standoffs - photo below.

Hobby king standoff and spacers

The NTM 35 spacers have a 3mm hole and the NTM 42 spacers have a 4mm hole
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7143 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Christmas Curare EP
I have just checked the cowl. It is 120 mm from front to rear. The wooden stand-off is 40mm then add the motor length (prop driver to X plate) which is 58mm. total is 98 mm, therefore need 20mm more spacing. Or another motor. :(

I am going to check on some more SK3s. I think the lower KV ones are longer in body.

Edit: Just been checking dimensions of various motors and equivalents. The recommended Lipolice 510kv 12T is near same as my SK3 exception being the stated KV. Also found this interesting page on motors. Most motors are made by SunRay Technology or ChinaHiMark Co.

So it looks like my only option is stand-offs or dump the EP idea! Not spending any more cash on motors. OS55 might get in with a chance.... ;)
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #7144 by
Replied by on topic Christmas Curare EP

PhilF51 wrote: I have just checked the cowl. It is 120 mm from front to rear. The wooden stand-off is 40mm then add the motor length (prop driver to X plate) which is 58mm. total is 98 mm, therefore need 20mm more spacing. Or another motor. :(

That would concur with Mike's measurements and just needs 2 lots of the 10mm spacers, probably all of £3 including postage from Europe. Just remember you need two lots, otherwise you'll need to put in two orders... don't ask me how I know this. :pinch:

PhilF51 wrote: I am going to check on some more SK3s. I think the lower KV ones are longer in body.

I think the form factor on the 5045s are the same except for the helicopter ones, but I've only really looked at the 660KV and 500Kv.

It's the clamp on prop adapter on the Lipolice motor that helps make it that much longer.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #7147 by Phil Ford
The compression adaptor makes it slightly longer but probably not what's needed. I sense a stitch up here... :unsure:

20mm set of 4, Hobbyking . no stock, Doh!

Any other sources. Such simple things to make with lathe and some ally round bar. :(

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #7148 by
Replied by on topic Christmas Curare EP
Hi Phil,
They would probably rattle around anyway the I/D of the ones you linked to is 5.1mm, the ones Mike is using are either 3mm or 4mm I/D, the motor X mount takes M4 bolts.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #7149 by Phil Ford

Chris001 wrote: Hi Phil,
They would probably rattle around anyway the I/D of the ones you linked to is 5.1mm.

They won't rattle unless they are loose.. ;) I am using 4mm bolts. I have found some steel spacers but are far to heavy for model work.

Of course I won't need all this agro if the OS55 gets lumped in.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds