Christmas Curare EP

More
8 years 5 months ago #7244 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Christmas Curare EP
Whilst the Curare will fly well with a 11x7 prop, we have found whilst it sounds powerful, it actually just stirs the air and makes a lot of noise past about 3/4 throttle. Chris is running a 11x8 on his Wot4 and I'm using a 11x8.5 on the Blue Angel. These seem to load up the motor better and produce a much nicer result. You could also try a 12x6.5 or 12x8.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7245 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Christmas Curare EP
Regarding the UBEC figures...you said you put the ammeter between the LiPo and the UBEC? Surely this gives meaningless figures since it is the current delivered from the UBEC to the servos that is critical. You're running a 5A regulator and it is this OUTPUT that should not be exceeded. If you are exceeding 5A you might find that the voltage collapses, which is why you are getting a warning from your receiver LED.

If you are within 5A the voltage should remain virtually constant...that's the beauty of using a regulator instead of battery straight into receiver! In fact, a decent regulator should be able to maintain voltage even if the specification is exceeded for a short while, because it takes time for the temperature to rise to the point where the regulator reaches thermal cutoff.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #7246 by
Replied by on topic Christmas Curare EP
Hi Phil

Just as an approximation, if you were running a 6s Lipo with the switch mode UBEC, the current drawn out of the UBEC at 5v will be between 2 - 4 times your measured input current. (Depends on the UBEC efficiency.)

You could reduce the peak current drawn by staggering the retracts, assuming they are on separate channels of course.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7247 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Christmas Curare EP
Mike, I had noticed that after about 3/4 throttle there did not seem to be much more thrust. I'll see if I have any 12 x ? APC props left and do a watt test tomorrow.

With regards to the amps drawn from the pack it was basically a quick check. Definitely need to verify current from the UBEC with my multimeter.

I had considered letting the ESC's BEC power the retracts but would probably make the wiring even more complicated and I might even forget how I did it in the future ;)

I have ordered some decent 7.5amp SBECs (made by Hobbywing) so have a back up plan if the Turnigy's are over rated.

Jon - How are the flaps aligned. No hint in manual. Top surface level with the aileron and wing or laying central to aileron profile?

Other than the fact that the windy days are for us for days/weeks possibly till Christmas :( All's well.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7248 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Christmas Curare EP
Phil

Just look down from the trailing edge of the wing and centre the flaps and aileron by eye, you should be able to get it pretty accurate.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #7249 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Christmas Curare EP
Cheers Jon. That's what I thought but wanted to verify. Flaps can be trimmed from the TX but need to set mechanically the two together first.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds