Christmas Curare EP

More
8 years 5 months ago #7226 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Christmas Curare EP
The 660kv motor will spin a 11x8.5 for just over 60A on a 6s battery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #7227 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Christmas Curare EP

MikeSeale wrote: The 660kv motor will spin a 11x8.5 for just over 60A on a 6s battery.

Thanks Mike. You are using 6 cells too?

More
8 years 5 months ago #7228 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Christmas Curare EP
Yes.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7231 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Christmas Curare EP

PhilF51 wrote: Today, fitted the wing to get some idea of the CG balance point which is 95 - 110mm from LE. Thinking that I may have to extend the battery box with supplied bits, because remembering something about Mike's Angel's battery sitting quite a way back?

Phil, I measured my cg for someone else the other day, I am at 115mm from the LE at the root and I still want to get it a bit further back, so I think the designed cg is too far forward. I think my review said I was right at the rear measurement, but I have added lead in the tail since then.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by JonTappin.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #7235 by Phil Ford
Cheers Jon. Wings off the fuselage now but the figure you give looks more realistic. I'l try it again tomorrow with the 6 cell 4000 maH to see how that goes. Theoretically it should be somewhere slightly further back from where the tank would've been, allowing for the fact that the battery will be heavier than a tank full of fuel. It did in the qfimagazine review images. ;)

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7242 by Phil Ford
Progress so far. C of G at 115 mm appears little more realistic Jon. Lipo sits up close to ESC as per the monochrome manual image. Photo 3

When the battery is inserted in position half of it is hanging out in fuselage with no support whatsoever and no back stop either! Photo 1 & 2. This will need to be corrected. Don't want 650 gms of weight floating around regardless. Made up a floor out of the spare bits of ply in the kit. See photos 4 & 5.

Power for the electronics is provided via a Turnigy UBEC 5A. Main power pack only has the motor to worry about. With everything ready to go I started moving surfaces as many as I could at the same time and watched the RX lamp. Still Red. good. Now sometime during these tests and powering the gear the lamp went orange. Drop out somewhere? A bit concerned here now.

Put an ammeter between the Lipo and UBEC. No wing attached but tested the current of the rudder, elevator and nose gear. Rudder and elevator servos peak at about 400 milliamps on first movement and then settle down to around 150 milliamps. However, the nose gear peaks at start at 800 milliamps. If you add in the the pair of mains, that 's another 1600 milliamps. Plus you have still got the aileron servos and possibly the flaps at some point in time. I appreciate they will not all be in use together, BUT.

Powering up the motor with the only 11 inch APC-e prop to hand which is 11 x 7, I got 1200 watts at 50 amps. (Which is a little less than the Wots Wot on the same motor on 5 cells swinging 13 x8 :) ) So, with a change of prop pitch..........

Weight wise I am still below the manuals 3.3kgs at 3.1kgs ;) At the moment!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds