DH Venom rebuild

• throttletothewall
More
6 years 11 months ago #12898 by throttletothewall
Replied by throttletothewall on topic DH Venom rebuild
Chaps,
I think that most of the DH Venoms Phillip Meason purchased and brought to Bournemouth airport some years ago were ex Swiss Air Force ones, which were only taken out of military service in the early 80s. I think many of the currently airworthy Venoms flying in this country were from that batch of aircraft. I also believe Phillip purchased all the Swiss Air Force spares available, most of which I think he sold onto a maintenance company at the airport and were subsequently being offered on Ebay a year or two ago!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #12958 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic DH Venom rebuild
Re: the two flame-outs on Saturday. I was wondering if the flame-outs could have been caused by the low pressure in the engine bay aggravating the weeping fuel tank enough to cause the motor to ingest the leaked fuel and flame-out. This would explain the puff of unburned fuel at the point of flame-out!!
It may also explain why the flame-out didn't happen when the cover was off the engine bay!
Hitting the mid-field bump may also have caused a spurt of fuel to leak from the tank exacerbating the situation!
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JRI.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #12996 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic DH Venom rebuild
Just so people don't think I was ignoring John's comments, we have also text and spoken about these thoughts.

I'm at a loss to explain it. I've run the VT80 on the bench several times with no issues at all.

What we do know is that it cut twice in the Venom, one fuel tank was leaking (craked), the engine flamed out at full power takeoff run and it coincided at the point of hitting a little rough ground.
I've checked and wiggled all wiring whilst running at full power and I tried to emmulate the same conditions with high speed taxi runs but she kept running.

With JRI's theory in mind, the only difference between the scenarios was when she cut, the fuel tanks were brimmed full which was causing a leak. Upon my attempt to recreate the conditions, the tanks were about half full.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by DaveBright.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #12997 by DaveBright
In the meantime look what the genius has done........... Can't express my thanks enough
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by DaveBright.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 11 months ago #12998 by DaveBright
..... She's based on WR444
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 11 months ago #12999 by Dave Rogers
Replied by Dave Rogers on topic DH Venom rebuild
Wow, that is a great paint job! Love it

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.612 seconds