Gromit's Phase 5 Build

More
5 years 7 months ago #17719 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build
Chris - Thanks for the info @ £8.50 it's a real snip from HK - on the list for when I place my next order.
Regards
Colin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #17728 by
Replied by on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build
Cutting the ailerons out took longer than I'd expected, but I think a lot of time was spent trying to work out the best method. In the end I made two cut just through the balsa skin and removed a strip from the top and bottom of the wing. Having cut through the middle of the waste foam, I detached the aileron and cleaned up both halves with the hot wire cutter using the balsa edges to guide it.
Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #17729 by
The hot wire cutter produced a nice clean edge, I gave it a swipe or two with some 240 grit paper and I was ready to glue on the 1/4 inch strips of balsa.

I did toy with the idea of just cutting the slot, and while the aileron was still attached at the wing tip and at the root, gluing in the two 1/4 inch strips of balsa into the gap, but I chickened out.

My only slight concern is that when gluing on the 1/4 inch facing strip onto the aileron it was hard to know if I was twisting it when pulling the tape tight. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #17731 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build
I got a warp in one of my control surfaces. To fix it i cut a slit theough the leading edge all the way to the foam and full length. A ttwist back into shape and a drop of thin ca and it was straight again.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #17732 by
Thanks for the tip Mike, I'd not have thought to do that, thankfully my ailerons seemed to have come through the ordeal (mostly) none the worst for it.

This evening seems to have been a process of removing material only to glue new material back in its stead! So I now have four ailerons, or is that two flaps and two ailerons? Each end capped with 1/8 balsa. Two of the servo wells are lined with 1/8 balsa, if I'd decided to do butt joints I'd have managed to get all four done, but for some reason I did mitres and only when putting the glue on the final piece did I realise I'd forgotten the hole for the servo wires. I decided it was time to call it a night.
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #17733 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build
Those wings are looking like , um, wings now! ;) They look nice too.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds