Gromit's Phase 5 Build

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17794 by
Replied by on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build
Thanks Kevin it is M2 10mm long, threaded section 8mm long.

I've found these, www.accu.co.uk/en/cap-head-screws/2776-S...ws/2776-SSC-M2-20-A2 the dimensions suggest 4mm of unthreaded section at the top which is perfect.

If I'd used CA it would have been done by now, but there is something nice about the slow pace of life that aliphatic glue encourages, it allows one to ponder the meaning of life, the universe and everything ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by . Reason: Helps if you add the photo!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17796 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build
Unfortunately, plain shank M2 bolts are difficult to source.. Despite telephoning ACCU prior to placing an order for the very same screws, they arrived threaded to head. ! A subsequent telecom revealed they don't have any plain shank M2.

Using a threaded shaft in a plain housing goes against the grain for me. I would replace your choice of clevis with a std metal spring apart type with a plain shank pin.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by kevinross.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
5 years 7 months ago #17797 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build
Best engineering practice is not necessary on this model. Don't overcomplicate matters and create problems that don't exist. You'll be suggesting mitre joints next...
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Bannister

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #17879 by
I had a list of things I'd hoped I'd get done on the Phase5 today, I managed one of them... nearly, it was only when I realised that my patience had totally run out and that my ability to do anything with care, delicacy or accuracy was now beyond me, that I decided to call it a day.

But before all of that, sometime last week I modified the bell crank box, Mike suggested I might want to increase the available travel, so I have, I can't get any more!
Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #17880 by
And so onto today's frustration, and I'm still not sure why I found it so hard going, all I was doing was marking out the hinge points, drilling them out and then bevelling the edges, the first two tasks took a little time because I kept feeling the need to make another coffee, but otherwise went well enough.

I'm not sure if it was because the aerofoil changes from none symmetrical at the root to symmetrical at the tip, but I felt like I was stabbing in the dark trying find the right angle. Symmetrical ailerons, centre hinged, with equal up and down travel are far easier.

Oh, and as hard as I tried I just couldn't think of a jig to make that would make a wonderful distraction for a few hours and then magically put the right angle on the bevels!

Anyway they are very close, I just need to double check I have the right amount of travel, and accept I managed to over do the angle on both ailerons so that they can pivot down more then up... yes I am contemplating gluing wood on and redoing them... 1/2 a millimetre would do it :unsure:
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17882 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build
Or sand a little more off to give even more aileron movement. The additional drag from an extra 500 microns clearance won't be noticed.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by MikeSeale.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds