Gromit's Phase 5 Build

More
5 years 7 months ago #17751 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build
That's coming along very nicely. Regarding the mitre joints...you'll learn [maybe]
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #17752 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build

MikeSeale wrote: That's coming along very nicely. Regarding the mitre joints...you'll learn [maybe]

Regardless of the omission of exits for servo leads those mitre joints are excellent. My project is getting near to the servo recesses and my only hope is I can "butt joint" decently. :unsure: ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #17753 by
Replied by on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build

MikeSeale wrote: ...you'll learn...

I think we both know that's unlikely ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #17754 by
Replied by on topic Gromit's Phase 5 Build

Phil Ford wrote:

MikeSeale wrote: That's coming along very nicely. Regarding the mitre joints...you'll learn [maybe]

Regardless of the omission of exits for servo leads those mitre joints are excellent. My project is getting near to the servo recesses and my only hope is I can "butt joint" decently. :unsure: ;)

Thankfully I caught my mistake just in time.

I didn't have an opportunity to work on it last night other than to quickly clean up the servo wells, and it'll probably be at the weekend before I do any more.

Mike, can I double check with you, are the flaps and ailerons centre hinged?

Did you need more surface deflection that stated in the plan:

1/2" (12.7mm) up and down - Flap
9/16" (14.3mm)up and down - Aileron

I think I've tended to over bevel the leading edge of the control surface, leading to a bigger gap than needed, which isn't so go if you want to reduce drag apparently! So I'd like to try and get this one closer to what's needed.
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #17758 by MikeSeale
The ailerons are centre hinged and give me about 20mm up and down. I don't know if I'm using this much, but it's available if I need it.
The flaps are hinged about 3mm from the lower surface. This gives me about 12mm up and 50mm down. The large down flap travel makes it very easy to control using crow for landings.
I wouldn't worry if you've overdone it and given yourself too much movement. My roll rate is good but it could possibly do with a little more

More
5 years 7 months ago #17759 by MikeSeale
Ignore the different horn shapes. The yellow templates I gave you were my final versions. But these are the drawings I made to determine whether the horns would give me adequate movement. Aileron above and flap below
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds