Back to Basics

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22393 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
The garden was looking pretty good this morning, so I had morning coffee under the umbrella and woke just in time for lunch. Almost perfect timing. Being nice and warm, the glue on the wing sheeting was firm enough to work on after lunch (which was followed by "A Bridge Too Far" and a big piece of chocolate). Preliminary sanding complete, then the dreaded moment ....slicing the aileron from the wing. It turned out to be a non-event. The ribs cut away easily, and accurately marking the cut lines during the wing build helped tremendously. Planing the oversize L.E. was fun and produced a satisfying heap of shavings for the bin. When it cools down this evening, it'll be time to whizz round with the vac, and sweep up all the odds and sods of balsa sheet etc. ready for a nice clean start on the right wing. Must get on with it quicky as I might forget how I did the left one.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #22394 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Back to Basics
Because Blenderm is designed for sticking to skin, it is also designed not to be too sticky. For that reason I would not use it on a 'proper' model. It's great for hinges on indoor models where it sticks to Depron really well.

Sellotape Crystal Clear is their replacement for Diamond tape. You should be able to find it in most big supermarkets as well as WHSmith. It is UV resistant like Diamond tape but it is a little thinner. Tesa make a UV resistant tape that is as thick as Diamond tape used to be, but finding Tesa tape is not so easy.

More
3 years 11 months ago #22395 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Back to Basics
Your wing is looking good there, Brian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22397 by Brian
Kadet's right wing on the board. Unfortunately I haven't got as much 1/16" sheet as I thought. What appeared to be two pieces of 1/16" turned out to be 1 piece of 1/8" with a mark on the edge, yes I should have gone to Specsavers long ago!. Fortunately there's enough balsa to make a start, but I won't be able to completely sheet the inboard section or the tip, there's only enough left for the T.E and the main part of the L.E. Unfortunate as we are supposed to be having rain tomorrow, might have a look at making the cowling from bits of balsa sheet, the thickest I have is 1/4", so I'll have to be careful with the cutting.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, kevinross

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22430 by Brian
Perhaps this thread should have been entitled "Back to the Dark Ages". Now the Kadet build has come to a halt due to lack of planning and failure to count my balsa stock properly, I pulled out an old project that I'd downloaded some years ago. Read the build article from Radio Modeller and thought it would make a good follow on project after the Kadet gets finished. I tile printed the plan as before, and made a list of materials needed. Thought I might as well get some extra balsa sheet, no point in getting "just enough" to finish the Kadet's sheeting. The new project will take 12 sheets of 1/16" X 4" balsa just for the wing skins, fortunately I've got enough 3/32" sheet to complete the tail and a couple of 48" sheets of 3/16" that'll do for the fuselage. I thought it would be easy to order the lot from Balsa Cabin, well it might have been a couple of years ago when I last ordered stuff from them, unfortunately the website seems to be slowed down by what I can only imagine as a great many builders trying to place an order. I gave up trying after more than an hour, the site accepted my order for three sizes of balsa sheet, then stalled when trying to add the fourth item. I'll try again tomorrow. I suppose you must be wondering what I'm rambling on about. Well, I thought it might be fun to give the "Curare Gang" a bit of competition with the model that won the National Championships in 1968. It'll give you something to do looking up the name of the designer/builder/pilot and the name of the model. I have done a little more to the Kadet, I glued the 1/4" balsa sheet for the fin and rudder, no photo, who could get interested in a shot of three pieces of sheet pinned to a building board?

More
3 years 11 months ago #22434 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Back to Basics

Phil Ford wrote: Yes , it is used to stick dressings. I have used on loads of items, stays flexible and hangs on. Great for gliders. Have not used it on glow model's hinges though so would not know. It is pretty resilient to much.

Didn't have it on the ailerons of your EFX racer did you Phil?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds