Back to Basics

More
3 years 11 months ago #22527 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Back to Basics
Hi Brian

I passed the Merco onto Dave Bright yesterday, he should be getting it to you sometime

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22530 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Thanks very much Jon.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22558 by Brian
Things have been a bit slow this week. I found the rattle in the wing was caused by a piece of 1/4" square balsa, that would excuse my not seeing it when I sheeted the wing, and explained why, what I'd thought to be a building pin, didn't respond when a magnet was placed near the rattling bit.
On Monday, my shed was targeted by some enthusiastic bees, after I'd shooed out at least five, all of which seemed to be quite agitated about something, I shut the door and found something else to do. In this case it was to get out the Moonglow plan and start making a list of things to get.
The Kadet has now got a "front end". I added some tissue/glue laminations to the existing cowling shell, this stiffened it up quite a bit. Today after a quick sanding down, the fitting went ahead with almost no problem. Apart from one! I should have taken more care in measuring the length. As designed, the cowling overlaps the front bulkhead by 1/4", so I got that bit back to front and instead of adding 1/4" to the overall length, I subtracted it. I didn't realise what I'd done until I had an unacceptable gap between the nose ring and the back of the spinner. I added extra balsa round the front of the bulkhead, that enabled the cowling to be moved forward, the gap is now about 1/8" ( I'll not give the approximate gap in mm because this is a model that is not only pre-decimal, its also American).
No bees today thank goodness, discovered that my neighbour opposite had a swarm clinging to a tree in his garden, quite a sight. However, there's no more building today, there's a person in the garden requiring assistance with various horticultural problems, not that I'm an expert, I just do what I'm asked(told).
The cowling needs a little more filling here and there, then several coats of primer/undercoat.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross, Phil Ford

More
3 years 11 months ago #22559 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Back to Basics

JonTappin wrote: Hi Brian

I passed the Merco onto Dave Bright yesterday, he should be getting it to you sometime

You are of course still welcome to my bitza merco - but i need to remain in lockdown for some time.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22563 by Brian
Thanks very much Kevin, it'll be fun to reassemble your Merco, and it would be nice to have a backup engine "just in case". Unfortunately I'm in the "lockdown gang" too, perhaps it won't be too long before we can meet at Cashmoor.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22608 by Brian
Yesterday I returned to the Kadet build, I'm still short of a few bits but hopefully there'll be a delivery soon. I popped the wing onto the fuselage and marked out the retaining screw positions as well as the centre of the locating dowel. I hadn't made things easy for myself, and I spent a long time trying to figure out how the drill the locating hole for the dowel when the top of the windscreen fairing was in the way. A walk round the garden and a cup of coffee later and I had the solution. It was simply a matter of hacking off the fairing, this left a pristine area of ply former begging to be accurately marked and drilled. With the dowel dry fitted and the wing securely taped in place, I made a thoughtless mistake, I drilled the holes for the fixing screws. Then I compounded the mistake by fixing the screws. I'd marked and drilled accurately enough as the screws went straight in without binding. It was only then that I dimly remembered that I should have checked the wing for squareness to the fuselage by the trusted method of measuring from each tip to the centreline at the rear end of the fuselage. Now for those who subscribe to the clinical world of the millimetre, look away now to avoid being offended. There was a difference between wingtip measurements, a difference too big to be ignored. The photos show the cause of the error. The centreline at the rear of the fuselage was measured from each side of the fuselage. The difference between the two dimensions was 9/32".
Now, should I ignore it? After all, the misalignment is only 9/64"(approx 3.571875 mm).
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds