Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

More
8 years 6 months ago #6487 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

DaveBright wrote:

JonTappin wrote: ignore most of my comments above

That should be your forum signature..... :silly:

That's an outrageous comment :ohmy: , where would you be without my sound guidance over the years (probably best that you don't answer that :) )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #6489 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

JonTappin wrote:

DaveBright wrote:

JonTappin wrote: ignore most of my comments above

That should be your forum signature..... :silly:

That's an outrageous comment :ohmy: , where would you be without my sound guidance over the years (probably best that you don't answer that :) )

;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #6492 by
Jon, I've just had a thought, when I've built it we could have a little old school pattern flying competition, you can fly your Curare, Mike his Blue Angel and I'll fly my Atlas, I can practice my maneuvers on the Wot4... it could be a close run thing :whistle:

It don't look that 'ard: ukcaa.org.uk/Articles/1978-FAI-Schedule_RM-Feb1978.pdf
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

More
8 years 6 months ago #6496 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
I know that Chris has given it a lot of thought trying to decide what to build and the Atlas appears to be a great choice and I'll certainly have a go at building one to complement my Blue Angel. The advantage of the pre tuned pipe designs is that they have plenty of room in the fuselage to accommodate the battery if you are making an electric conversion. The straight wing and tail of the Atlas also make it a little easier to build compared to the Blue Angel, especially if doing a built-up wing. And if you believe the blurb in the Wolfgang Matt interview, it doesn't need to be flown as fast as the swept wing models.

Having successfully made a foam wing and tail for the BA, I will do the same for the Atlas. If anyone else decides to build the Atlas I will happily cut cores for you (or help you to cut your own cores from my templates).

Mike

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6502 by
Hi Mike,

Great to have you on board, and I'd very much like to take you up on the offer, I fancy learning how to cut my own foam wings under your guidance.

I've ordered a plan from www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/22052/rc1283-atlas , so we'll be able to see how the pdf plan compares.

There are also two or three places in the US that sell the canopies.

In the article I linked to in the first post there is a Q& A, and I'm a little confused about this:

Question: 'You obviously like strip ailerons. Do you feel they are easier to build?'

Answer: "The mechanical part (linkage) of the conventional ailerons is more difficult to build in order to get precise movements. In addition, in my experience, the strip ailerons do not have any aerodynamic disadvantages"

Can anyone tell me what strip ailerons are and how they compare to conventional ailerons, in the plans they look just like what I would expect an aileron to look like!

More
8 years 6 months ago #6504 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
'Conventional' ailerons are just the outer panel moving, a la full size. In the days before mixing radios a single servo in the wing drove both ailerons via bell cranks...lots of trouble and potential slop. Strip ailerons were the whole trailing edge and driven by torque rods...much simpler and less slop.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.477 seconds