Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #8953 by
Thanks for the offers of help, I'll gladly take all the advice as it would be nice to get the Atlas to fly as well as it can. I'll see you tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago #11215 by
A while ago Jon mentioned in passing a way of ensuring that both elevator halves worked in unison by using two pieces of wood clamped, one on each half of the elevator and projecting past the rudder. If all is good they will be aligned and track together through the deflection of the control surface. This is probably a well established thing that everyone knew but me.

A bit late in the day I thought I'd check to see how it was looking on my Atlas, both halves are driven by the same servo, but via two push rods. I'd set it up by measuring the control horn lengths and ensured they were the same both sides and I used the wing tips to centre each half...

...I have to confess that I was staggered to discovered my two halves were not aligned, I then had to resort to utter shock when I discovered they didn't track together either as one side had a larger degree of travel than the other!

A little playing with the linkages and it's much better now.

So thank you Jon, it might take a while for your words of wisdom to filter through, but I usually get the hint in the end ;)
Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago #11216 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Ignorance is bliss sometimes. I've not had the conversation with Jon and have not had to do the homework!

More
7 years 5 months ago #11217 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Glad to be of service Chris, good to know that you dolisten to me occasionally :)

Have you actually varnished those 2 bits of wood?? :lol:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago #11219 by
Nope, that's the finish you get with a very sharp plane iron Jon :)

I put off the homework as long as possible Mike :cheer: I think we are talking months ago I had the conversation with Jon. Anyway you've always got to take what he says with a pinch of salt. He tried telling me that when he was doing the flying for James Bond, one guy ripped the wings off his Mig and it still flew fine, the only issue was landing :whistle: What I took from that is that the wings are like the rudder, only useful when taking off and landing.

More
7 years 5 months ago #11220 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
How dare you doubt my far fetched tales, I will find the photos, that'll show you! :angry:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.463 seconds