Pepsi Chipmunk Build

More
7 years 7 months ago #10283 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
I agree with Chris. I've been building and covering models for 36 years and if I kept removing the covering and re-doing it until it was perfect I'd still be on my first one! Unfortunately (or fortunately, whichever way you want to look at it) you have been spoiled with ARTF's that look just about perfect because they are covered by professionals. The other challenge that you have set yourself is recreating a scale scheme. My early models were done with simple schemes like just one colour on the wing with a sticker or two to distinguish top from bottom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #10284 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build

Chris73 wrote: nobody is going to see the bits of covering you are not happy with when its in the air :)

True, BUT you know how people check new stuff over up at the field and make comments (usually good). :lol: Then the words "crappy covering came to mind". Got away with the Curare patching though........ :whistle:

Anyway have started stripping already. Then I thought about sitting the wing on the fuselage for the first time to see where the colour trims meet the fuselage. Dowels are keeping the wing off the saddle. :(

My option here as I see it, is fill the dowel holes in F2 and glue another piece of ply behind to beef up and then let the wing determine where the holes go. I had to do the same with Curare.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #10286 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
I know the wing dowels are not far out as iv had the wing on myself.All you have to do is take the high spots off the wing seats and it will sit perfectly I have to leave you some bits to do otherwise it will be too easy.I know for sure they are correct as I always sit the wing on and drill through the ply former and the leading edge.You make it sound like I have cocked it up :angry:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by flyingpete.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #10287 by Phil Ford

flyingpete wrote: You make it sound like I have cocked it up :angry:

Not all Pete. ;) Sorry if it came out that way. It just looked odd as it was not sitting down on the fuselage as I expected.

I got quite a few steps forward with the wing covering and hardware and now back a lot more further. Stripped the whole lot off again. Sort of 3 forward and six back......... :(
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 7 months ago #10288 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
I got quite a few steps forward with the wing covering and hardware and now back a lot more further back. Stripped the whole lot off again. Sort of 3 forward and six back......... :([/quote]

Phil - To quote a famous engineer " Perfection is the barrier to Progress "
Do the best job you can do, sit back, admire it then go fly it !

Colin

More
7 years 6 months ago #10334 by Phil Ford
Trying to remember not to make the same mistakes as last time, ;) took it real slowly. Wing recovered and hardware installed. A few minor wrinkles but will not fiddle with them at this time.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds