Pepsi Chipmunk Build

More
7 years 7 months ago #10153 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
Chinakote is great at these times. If you've waster a roll of profilm you might as well just throw fivers away...cheaper in the long term than throwing profilm away!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #10159 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build

MikeSeale wrote: Heat gun or iron?

A bit of both Mike. I even went to Screwfix and bought a new heat gun with a flat blade air director just like in the Oracover photos although the old one did the job just fine previously. I think after more reading it may a be case of using too high a temp and/or not pulling it taut enough before tacking. Strange, because a few years a go, well six I think ;) I recovered a 60 size chipmunk wing with all the stripes/colours and no issues at all.

It's definitely ME!

More
7 years 7 months ago #10160 by Phil Ford

MikeSeale wrote: Heat gun or iron?

A bit of both Mike. I even went to Screwfix and bought a new heat gun with a flat blade air director just like in the Oracover photos although the old one did the job just fine previously. I think after more reading it may a be case of using too high a temp and/or not pulling it taut enough before tacking. Strange, because a few years a go, well six I think ;) I recovered a 60 size chipmunk wing with all the stripes/colours and no issues at all.

It's definitely ME!

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #10225 by Phil Ford
Today the new iron arrived along with a pack of scalpel blades so another go at covering the wing. This time I did it my way ;) firstly using covering stuff (pva based I think) allowed to dry and started again on laying down the red and white areas on the underside. Seems to be okay this time. Did one lay of red topside too. Will lay in servo leads before covering with white. Flap and aileron servos mounting blocks glued to hatches ready for servos.

The leading dark blue film will be here tomorrow, Royal Mail willing. Hoping that all will shrink down nice and tight. ;)

I would suggest my old iron's thermostat is dodgy now hence my wrinkly issues.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #10233 by Phil Ford
Underside of wing now covered and shrunk. Servo hatches covered and with Obechi servo mounting blocks glued on. Tomorrow hoping to get top side done, servos installed and control surfaces hinged............. :whistle:

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #10236 by Phil Ford
Wing now covered (had a couple of boo boos with film - learning curve ;) ) Servos installed and flaps glued in. I will leave ailerons for now, a little bit of re-adjustment needed to hinges when i am in the mood. :)

New heat gun definitely worth it, more concentrated air in a blade pattern makes for more precise shrinking.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds