Cashmoor warbird fleet size increase

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #18812 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Cashmoor warbird fleet size increase

4Pedalsfly wrote: Kevin - Interesting solution but would it not be simpler to epoxy a cast lead billet into the front of the cowl ?
What size & length of socket screws do you need - I'll have a look in my stock, worked for many years in
the fastener industry. ?

Colin.

As my fastener supplier is closed until Monday - do you have any threaded to head m5 HT machine screws x 100mm long or just m5 HT studding ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #18813 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Cashmoor warbird fleet size increase
My $0.02. I wouldn't put any weight on the cowl. The extra weight would really pull on the securing screws and tear the fibreglass.

More
5 years 3 months ago #18816 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Cashmoor warbird fleet size increase
Kevin - Cannot find anything to help you out, hopefully you'll get sorted Monday.

Colin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #18819 by kevinross

kevinross wrote: Thought about compressing the lead and will post the solution

Now completed re-configuring the nose ballast. Made secondary stand-offs then mounted the weight on rubber bushes (in an attempt to minimise any vibration / resonance from the weight. This has improved the effective moment which will allow reducing the unnecessary 1.5 lbs battery weight which has a less effective moment.
The motor drive hub protrudes the cowl but this is compensated by a special spinner.
Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #18820 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Cashmoor warbird fleet size increase
A neat job Kevin, but I am convinced that you will also need diagonal cross-bracing between the top of each brass standoff and the bottom of an adjacent one, otherwise a resonant vibration in the weight could cause all of the load to be focused on the bottom of one of the brass standoffs causing the stud or the engine mounting lug to fracture.
I see it a bit like doing a dance on a slightly wobbly table, get the rhythm right and each gyration cumulatively adds to the motiion applied to the joints until one of the legs fails ! Diagonal cross-bracing limits the rocking motion (and potential twisting moments). Apparently the diagram below is how legged structures are made earthquake proof (presumably also allowing for some rocking movement to dissipate the energy).
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by JRI.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #18822 by kevinross
Diag bracing will be difficult. Need to re-assemble everything and run the engine to investigate.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by kevinross.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds