Rubin

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #21990 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Rubin

kevinross wrote: I think the chairman needs to chill out.
At this rate, In a weeks time he might suffer an anticlimax with a finished model with no way to fly it.

It'll probably be a little more than that to complete. I have to make my own cowl and canopy at some point.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #21991 by MikeSeale

Phil Ford wrote: At this rate he would have 4 new planes during April alone - worried about May now.:whistle:

I'm facing unemployment until the end of May or June (possibly even longer), so I'm making the most of this unexpected time. Fortunately I have an unopened box of balsa that has enough for at least two models...and I have a scale glider that might see the light of day.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #21992 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Rubin

MikeSeale wrote:

kevinross wrote: I think the chairman needs to chill out.
At this rate, In a weeks time he might suffer an anticlimax with a finished model with no way to fly it.

It'll probably be a little more than that to complete. I have to make my own cowl and canopy at some point.

Hi mike
Re the cowl , I know John Jacobs is currently experimenting interesting ways of producing mouldings for his current project so might be worth dropping him an e mail
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeSeale

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #21993 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Rubin
I have ordered from Carbon Copy and they are still working. Maybe there is cowl from another aero that is very similar?
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeSeale

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #21998 by MikeSeale
Yesterday I got the wing joined and the locating dowels installed. Then reinforced the joint with a few layer of glass and epoxy,
Attachments:

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #21999 by MikeSeale
And today was a very awkward step in the build. The original Rubin used a 1.20 FS with a pipe. At the filed you'd attach the wing, add the pipe and then add a moulding that went all the way from the nose to the trailing edge of the wing. My original plan was to make this item from several blocks of balsa, but I then thought that maybe I could make it from blocks of foam like I did for the turtle decks....yes, I could and I'm pleased with the results. Much easier, cheaper and lighter than big blocks of balsa.

Here's the completed under wing belly pan and the block that goes under the fuel tank area.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds