Rubin

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #22039 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Rubin
I added a half inch block of blue foam the the rear of the canopy. This will allow me to 1) cut back to a clean line and 2) give me some extra cowl to slide over the fuselage instead of butt jointing. I then filled imperfections in the green foam and sanded to shape. The cowl is then covered in packing tape before glassing it. The whole lot goes in the vacuum bag with some peel ply to soak up excess resin as well as giving a rough surface so that filler and paint will stick better. Waiting for the resin to cure now before I can tell if it's worked.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #22040 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Rubin

MikeSeale wrote: The whole lot goes in the vacuum bag with some peel ply to soak up excess resin as well as giving a rough surface so that filler and paint will stick better.

May I ask please what is "peel ply"? Also what is stopping the vac bag from sticking to the gel coat? And where did you get the vac bag from - got another use for it?

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #22041 by MikeSeale
For clarity, you use the phrase gel coat but I am not using a gel coat, just laminating epoxy resin.

Peel ply is teflon coated polyester fabric. You add it to the wet epoxy and it soaks up any excess resin. Once cured you 'peel' off the peel ply leaving a matt surface to the epoxy that also has a fabric texture. This will take a filler/primer layer much better than a glossy epoxy.

The bag is nylon (I think) and will not stick to the resin - it should peel off easily...I hope!

I got my vacuum bag from easy composites

www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/vacuum-equip...um-bagging-film.html

If you don't want or need a 1.5m wide bag you can get narrower from east coast composites

www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/5...film-06-mt-wide-tube
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, kevinross, Phil Ford

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #22043 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Rubin
Great progress Mike. Jealous of the build skills!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeSeale

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #22046 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Rubin
watching the cowl build with interest - My big red Stearman needs one 10 1/4" dian (sorry 260mm )

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #22047 by MikeSeale

kevinross wrote: watching the cowl build with interest - My big red Stearman needs one 10 1/4" dian (sorry 260mm )

I hope you have as much fun building it as I did!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds