Scratch Built Hannibal

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #17337 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Scratch Built Hannibal
Phil, Confucius say "Fit engine...easy, climb slope.. hard" I'll wait until the ski lift is installed. Until then..........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #17338 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Scratch Built Hannibal

Brian wrote: ...climb slope.. hard" I'll wait until the ski lift is installed. Until then..........

You'll be pleased to know that all of the Dorset/Wiltshire slopes involve no climbing. You drive to the top and fly.

More
5 years 9 months ago #17339 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Scratch Built Hannibal
Mike reported

You'll be pleased to know that all of the Dorset/Wiltshire slopes involve no climbing. You drive to the top and fly.

There speaks a man who has never landed at the bottom of the slope after being caught out when the wind suddenly stops blowing!

More
5 years 9 months ago #17340 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Scratch Built Hannibal

DavidTappin wrote: Mike reported

There speaks a man who has never landed at the bottom of the slope after being caught out when the wind suddenly stops blowing!

Correct. Had many close calls but always realised when to bail out and land on the slope face. I've seen others land at the bottom and it has always been a lottery whether they land gently or stall that last 20ft and sustain significant damage. So I decided many years ago that I'd rather take that lottery where I can still see the model and the area it will land.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #17341 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Scratch Built Hannibal
Thank you all for the jolly diversion to the slopes. Can I write "slopes", I believe Jeremy Clarkson got into trouble saying that word. Anyway, the Hannibal progressed a little further today. The model has been painted with Rustin's satin finish two pack varnish. I saw this varnish at a model meeting some years ago, it works very well and has the bonus of being something like a quarter the price of "fuel proofer". Now its on to the Saito 125. This might be a problem, I bought it ready converted to petrol but unrun. Today I took it out of the box and found that its very stiff to turn over. I put a few drops of after run oil through the exhaust port and the inlet, but this has had no effect at all. Very strange, the engine makes a creaking sound when turned over. Now I wish I'd checked it over when I first got it. Perhaps it'll be the OS FS91SP after all!

More
5 years 9 months ago #17342 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Scratch Built Hannibal
Crikey! Creaking. Corroded crank bearings? Have look inside first Brian before committing to an engine choice.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds