Back to Basics

More
2 years 1 month ago #25667 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Back to Basics
i think your concerns about the moment of two wing servos are if founded Brian.

A couple of modern lightweight mini servos will be perfect and reduce the workload. But most important is you can adjust the Aileron differential at the touch of a button or two
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 1 month ago #25668 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Thank you for your comment Kevin. You've made me realise that the servos we use today are more powerful and a good deal lighter than those used on the original Moonglow. Perhaps a couple of decent spec 9g servos would do the job. Certainly a bonus to be able to trim each servo individually. Perhaps do the same with elevator and rudder, dispense with the long push rods and fit the servos to the rear of the fuselage. My original thoughts were to use pull/pull on the rudder and a 6mm carbon fibre tube for the elevator pushrod. I'll have to drop some parts on to the Boss's kitchen scales and do a few sums involving weights and distance from the C of G. Right! That's Saturday night sorted, I don't like Saturday night TV offerings anyway, so nothing lost there.

More
2 years 1 month ago #25669 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Back to Basics
Cant recall the fuselage progress but if it not finished - Have you considered a small extension to the nose then lay the parts to achieve the correct C of G

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 1 month ago #25670 by Brian
The fuselage is in the first stage of assembly. Sides with triangle reinforcement, three formers and good old fashioned beech engine bearers. The upper and lower parts of the fuselage are from thick
sheet balsa. I've considered changing the structure from balsa to polystyrene foam. The plan calls for the top decking to be made from 1/2" sheet balsa, a lot of carving and a lot of waste wood. The underside of the fuselage is similar but from 3/8" balsa. Once again, I have considered using foam but I am torn between building a model to the original design, or creating a model that looks like the original design but uses materials not available way back in the 1960s. I suppose that as long as I keep to the original lines of the model, the composition of the materials used is of little importance, if foam had been available then, I'm sure it would have been used.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #25671 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics

Thank you for editing my March 3rd submission Phil. Three themes, three paragraphs!

Thanks again, I think you've tweaked the way photos are inserted, my last three came out in the same order that they went in.

Your welcome. I am not pendantic but without paragraphs it can be a bit of a slog to follow. All credit due though to keeping your articles coming frequently.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 1 month ago #25673 by Brian
Phil, I have a feeling that David T will have something to say about your addition to my "Thank you" comment. May I suggest you have a look at your reply and revise, you'll only get a nudge from you know who if you don't.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.503 seconds