Back to Basics

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #25671 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics

Thank you for editing my March 3rd submission Phil. Three themes, three paragraphs!

Thanks again, I think you've tweaked the way photos are inserted, my last three came out in the same order that they went in.

Your welcome. I am not pendantic but without paragraphs it can be a bit of a slog to follow. All credit due though to keeping your articles coming frequently.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 1 month ago #25673 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Phil, I have a feeling that David T will have something to say about your addition to my "Thank you" comment. May I suggest you have a look at your reply and revise, you'll only get a nudge from you know who if you don't.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 1 month ago #25676 by Brian
Not a lot of progress today, finished the second sanding of the fin and rudder, and made a start on rounding off the leading edges and tips of the whole tail assembly. Slow work as I don't want to sand through the sheet covering again. I trial fitted the tail plane and fin and rudder with the aid of some 3M tape holding things together. Bit of trimming to do at the base of the fin as there's a bit of a gap, nothing serious. Quite encouraging to see that the dry assembled bits look remarkably like the original in the photo from 1968.

After wondering whether to stick to the original control system of one servo and bell cranks for the ailerons, I'm going to use one servo for each aileron, pull/pull wire for the rudder and a 6mm carbon tube as a pushrod for the elevator. All these servos will be Spektrum A 6180 Digital Servos. The throttle will be operated by a tiny Spektrum DSP 75.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, kevinross

More
2 years 1 month ago #25683 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Back to Basics
David Tappin has been warned off about making negative comments on spelling, grammar and syntax. Maybe someone with a thicker skin can take up the cudgel.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 1 month ago #25684 by Brian
David, I'm saddened by your withdrawal from the "Arena". Your observations have always been a delight as well as a reminder that our language needs to be cherished. What would happen if we were to allow the "Woke" people to take over for instance? Doesn't bear thinking about. Anyway, it's nice to have a real spel chequer on the job, this Window's one keeps missing things.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 1 month ago #25686 by Brian
Moonglow's fuselage sides are a two piece item, joined by a laser cut "dovetail ". The dry assembled joint is quite loose, and the sides need to be jigged while gluing. Unfortunately the scorching around the edges of the parts can't be hidden. This is a nuisance as the fuselage is to be covered in translucent Diatex 1000, and the marks will show through. Can't put a sticker over the area as it would be in the wrong place. Its a pity that someone hasn't invented balsa coloured paint, but that might be the way to do it. Water based acrylic artists colours? Might be worth a try. I'll have a mug of coffee and a chocolate digestive while I think about it.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.660 seconds