Pepsi Chipmunk Build

More
7 years 8 months ago #9850 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build

flyingpete wrote: Also the wing to fuzz fairing is left off.

The wing fairing is an optional extra Pete. I bought a set for the Pennzoil but never fitted them due to the fact they are glued on before covering They are white plastic and need cutting out of the plastic pressing. Might do the job properly this time...... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 8 months ago #9851 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
They will need spraying to match fuzz colour anyway.Dont try and glue them to the covering!!
Once you have covered the fuzz and the fairings are ready,tape them in place and with a new scalpel blade cut the covering away and then glue the fairings to the wood.
Also never try to cut them to exact shape with scissors,much better to over cut by a couple of mm and then sand to shape with a flat permanent grit

More
7 years 8 months ago #9852 by Phil Ford
Thanks for the tip Pete. :)

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 8 months ago #9893 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
Phil
Do you need the plans back for chippy,if so I can bring next time with tank?

More
7 years 8 months ago #9895 by Phil Ford
Hi Pete, possibly yes, because they may have changed since Pennzoil which was the original kit from Apache.

I have bagged the parts up and placed in roof space till I can sorted a home for it in the garage. Methinks this will be a crap weather/Winter covering.assembly job ;) I am gonna take my time on this. Wing covering looks easy to do but the fuselage livery is much more detailed and needs the wing done first so as to line up colour scheme.

As the Pennzoil went very well on the GT33 I may sell the DLE35RA and get another GT33 for it. We'll see......... :)

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #10060 by Phil Ford

Autumn starts with windy and wet weather. So, with now't else to do I think it is time to work on the lovely airframe that Pete kindly built for me. All the parts are assembled similar to an ARF. Cover the parts first then glue and fit as necessary. This is the biggest covering job I have ever undertaken so am plodding along, doing a bit at a time.

So, today I checked hinging positions first. Decided on having a go with the fin being the simplest followed by the rudder. Before covering a weight is required to be inserted into the counterbalance to reduce possibility of rudder flutter. Not too bad at all. Afternoon spent covering the elevators. Fiddle-arsed around for ages to get the shrinkage right but a reasonable outcome. Top of the rudder and counter balance(after watching a video on stretching and pulling with heat gun) done separately. The rudder at present is all white but will be covered in red and blue squares later. ( not looking forward to that job :( ) Images of my progress so far dry fitted.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds