Curare 60 E

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #22073 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare 60 E
I see you have the motor on now. Might be an idea to get a spinner with cooling slots on it. www.probuild-uk.co.uk/index.php?route=pr...&path=1485_1292_1625
I could not get one at the time of my build so I sliced the top of the cone off a bit to allow air directly through the motor.

What are you going to start building on Wednesday? :lol:
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 2 weeks ago #22074 by
Replied by on topic Curare 60 E
I'm still planning tackling the tail assembly! Might have to delay a new start on Thursday!
On the cooling front, the instructions as far as I can see say to make a hole in the bottom of the cowl? Is that how you read it Phil?

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #22075 by Phil Ford
Instructions? Not me, just followed the pictures. ;) Yes, I cut a "slot" in the lower cowl, from the lower white line to the bottom just before it curves away. I also used the spinner cooling idea as I found personally that the battery/ESC was getting quite warm - so played safe.

The most fiddly/time consuming bit is the elevator/ rudder control rods. Depending on how your setting up your rudder control - direct rod or pull pull. See my earlier images.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #22076 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Curare 60 E
IMHO, a cooling spinner is not necessary...but if you need to buy one then why not got one with holes. I have used both types on my Atlas and the motor gets hot regardless of cooling spinner. My setup is 'hotter' than the one you're installing in the Curare, a 660kv motor instead of 500kv. I've used the same motors for 4 years now at 80A and they keep coming back for more punishment. My Blue Angel uses the same motor and has never had a cooling spinner.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #22077 by Phil Ford
I have just re-read Simon's mail and the EF motor is 500kv. This could mean he needs a slightly bigger prop but ground clearance may be the factor here.

I'm using 660kv on 11x10 prop. Does that mean my Curare is hot too? ;) Images show the SK3 5045 660kv motor that needed stand-offs. Sorry, not trying to hijack your build thread Simon
Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 2 weeks ago #22078 by
Replied by on topic Curare 60 E
Yours is too hot for me Phil
I'm going to use a 12x10 which is one of the props recommended with the motor which can be supplied with the kit which is 510kv, as I understand it.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds