Curare 60 E

More
4 years 1 week ago #22085 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Curare 60 E
Further to Kevin's comments, I use 3 flight conditions (not sure what Futaba calls this), one for each flap position and separate the trims for each, this means that you can individually trim at each flap position, you will normally get pitch trim changes with flaps and as Kevin said unless you have the flaps travelling exactly the same distance, you can get roll changes with flap as well. This makes it easy to correct it without using mixers which normally need lots of trial and error to get right. It also means if you want more throw or less expo say with full flap, you can do this all on the same switch
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #22089 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Curare 60 E
Simon
For future reference, what you should have done after trial fitting the flaps is grabbed the drive and driven ends of the torque rods with pliers and bent them to match.

However you might still be able to achieve this. Assuming the flaps are solid balsa, Try grabbing the flap with pliers and some strong ply plates to spread the load and bend / twist the torque rod to align. I would move the aft one forward. If this loosens the rod in the flap, make a small incision in the covering, dig down to the rod and wick some cyan in to make it hard !
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by kevinross.

More
4 years 1 week ago #22090 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare 60 E
FWIW I had to do that too. ;) I squeezed the torque area tightly with some strips of ply between my fingers and the flap. Bent the best I could get. I was maybe lucky, my epoxied glue had not loosened.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
4 years 1 week ago #22094 by Phil Ford
Simon, are you able to overcome the control rod issue?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 1 week ago #22099 by
Replied by on topic Curare 60 E
Yes Phil, ran solder into each of the threaded brass links then solder onto the piano wire and with a hot soldering iron held against the link the wire slid into the links and made fast. Very pleased with the result!
I must say the plastic tubes that guide the closed loop wires for the rudder and the piano wires for the 2 elevators make life so much easier.
So I will now hinge the elevators and the rudder once I have fitted the respective control horns. The drilled ply piece will be glued in once the servos for rudder and elevators are finished. This will then extend the lipo battery tray.
I will go back to the torque rods for the flaps at a later date armed with the extra knowledge I now have to rectify the misaligned rods.
On we go.
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #22100 by Phil Ford
Good work. Thought you had been quiet today. ;) When you do the elevator rods in the fuselage just check the rods still slide when they are aligned to the servo arm. If they tend to bind you may have to pack the servo up with some thin ply. I had to anyway so my rudder wires would clear the elevator servo arm (as in the full size image I sent you) Rudder? Pull pull wire or direct rod. I initially started with a direct rod but found it bound a bit in the tube on my first Curare. Hence wires.
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds