Curare 60 E

More
4 years 1 week ago #22101 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare 60 E
Lipo bay? Your using a slightly heavier motor so you find your pack goes further back than mine. The centre of my 4000 mah Zippy pack sits over the leading edge of the wing to give you some idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 1 week ago #22112 by
Replied by on topic Curare 60 E
Today I pushed on with hinging the elevators and rudder. Then test fitting the stabs which on this model have pronounced anhedral angles. Slightly nervous about glueing the stabs on as there there are only very short stab supports and a small carbon locator rod to hold the correct position for the stabs. I think I will get the model on its wheels which will allow me to support each stab at the correct height from the table. After that I guess I will have to hold the stabs against the fuz until the glue dries. Hmmmmmm!

At the front, the cowl is ready to secure in its place so time to get the masking tape and pencil to decide the position for the cowl fixings. Job for tomorrow.
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #22113 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare 60 E
Good work Simon. The Cowl - I pushed mine back until I had approx 2mm clearance from spinner back plate. The back edge should be a good 10mm past the fuselage sides where it sticks out a bit. I used 2.9 x 10 self tappers with large heads. Four holes where drilled, two each side, with 2mm twist bit and then pre-started the screws. Backed out, remove cowl and drop thin CA into holes to harden the wood. This is my solution but you may have alternative plans. Although on reflection I would have tried to get the screws to go into the side of the firewall but maybe I did not have enough cowl material to go back that far. But with EP version there will probably be no need to remove cowl. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Phil Ford.

More
4 years 1 week ago #22114 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Curare 60 E

Simon O wrote: I think I will get the model on its wheels which will allow me to support each stab at the correct height from the table. After that I guess I will have to hold the stabs against the fuz until the glue dries. Hmmmmmm!.

Simon I think the model may be wobbly on the wheels - I would support the model on three points - two identical height blocks under the wings under the fin. Then cut two scrap lengths of balsa to support each stab tip. From the back of the model you should be able to eyeball two matching points on the wing. Fit markers at equal points from the fuselage centre. This should enable you to see any discrepancy. You will have to work out if this is best normal or inverted.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 1 week ago #22115 by
Replied by on topic Curare 60 E
Thanks Kevin and Phil.
Jon refers in his article to using the wing as a reference when positioning the stabs so I will do as you suggest Kevin. My main concern is keeping pressure on the stab to press them hard up against the fuz to minimise any gapping whilst the 30 minute epoxy sets.

More
4 years 1 week ago #22118 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Curare 60 E
Simon, I used adhesive tape from the bottom of the fus to the tip of the tailplane then to the tip of the rudder, this will hold each tail half in the correct position and apply pressure to the joint at the same time. Use slow, setting epoxy then that will give you time to adjust as required.

Make sure you use plenty of glue, I don't think I did when I did mine as it came loose on one side later on!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds