Fsky Taranis X9D Plus

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #14311 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Well I am back in business with another new Taranis X9D Plus. Updated the firmware from 217 to 219. Then wrote my backed up file from the first TX via OpenTX to the new one. Great I am now back to where I left off.:) Then copied across from my PC based SD card back-up my custom sounds pack to the new TX's SD card. Replaced the NiMh battery pack with a compatible 9.9v Life of 1500maH. Reset the Voltage meter and low battery warning level to suit the new battery pack.

Receiver installed into Fox glider and rudder/elevator confirmed as having three rates/expos. Cannot verify the ailerons and flap mixes at present - too windy in the drive. Maybe tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14342 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Any reason you're staying with 2.1.9 firmware Phil?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14343 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus

Brian wrote: Any reason you're staying with 2.1.9 firmware Phil?

It works for me Brian. The new Taranis came with 2.1.7 so I used OpenTX Companion 2.1 to upgrade the TX 2.1.9. I did not have to flash receiver either :huh: but it is in the Fox Glider and all working great after some tweaking. Had some fun though setting up Flaps. Followed Painless 360's video guide to setting them up using a Servo Checker and a bit of mathematics.

I am only flying fixed wing so I don't need the extras they have in the upgrade. The Drone Boys are the ones asking for more n more I suspect.;) Might upgrade if a bug fix is needed but "if it don't need fixing then don't fiddle with it". My motto that I usually break....:lol:

Open TX
We are happy to bring you the release version of OpenTX 2.2.0, with support for the production version of the FrSky Horus radio and Taranis Q X7!

PLEASE NOTE the following important information before hastily jumping on it: Please back up your models and settings before upgrading so that you can go back to your previous version should you not like 2.2 or find issues that make it unsuitable for you. Use the “backup radio to file” companion feature for this to have an exact copy of what was on your radio.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 5 months ago #14639 by Brian
I was looking at "RC Model Reviews" on YouTube. It was Bruce Simpson and his son flying quadcopters. Both were using Taranis X9D Plus transmitters with modified aerials. These are to give extra range. I think "5db" was mentioned somewhere. There seems to be two opinions on the performance with the different aerial. One group says it improves range and reliability of signal, the other group say that the modification makes the aerial sensitive to direction. I wondered if any Taranis fliers have an opinion on whether the modification is worthwhile.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #14640 by
Replied by on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Hi Brian,

My X9E came with a little stub antenna, and I was not convinced I was getting the same signal strength I had when borrowing Mike's X9D. We have both since changed our antenna to conventional 2dB antenna. At the time I did wonder about the antenna with greater dB, but my research suggested that, yes you can get greater range, but at a cost, it's more directional. I came to the conclusion we really just want an omni directional, or as close as possible, antenna so that there are no dead areas to the sides.

I believe that the industry has standardised on the 2dB antenna as it best suites our intended use, and EU law has put a limit on the broadcasting power, so I can only assume that given ideal RX aerial placement that one system is going to perform very much like any other.

Are you experiencing range issues? Frequent RSSI low or Telemetry lost warnings?

More
6 years 5 months ago #14641 by Brian
I haven't flown with the Taranis yet Chris, but I have had some problems with Spektrum DSM2. I'm waiting for a couple of parts for my X9D, then I'll be able to do some proper testing at Cashmoor. I have wondered why the X9E has such a short aerial, I thought it was due to the fact that it had two. Didn't realise that one aerial is for Bluetooth. Leaving the aerial alone on the X9D is a relief, thanks for your comments on distance and direction. In any case, I don't think I could have soldered the tiny connections to the board, it looked quite fiddly.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds