Open TX

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #14363 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Open TX

Brian wrote: Might be my imagination or perhaps I'm getting to understand the system, but I found that working with OpenTx 2.2.0 seemed to be a bit easier than the original firmware.

I must agree Brian that I too have started to get the hang of OpenTX ;) although I'm not sure I like the GUI of 2.2 although considering I had only just started with 2.1.9. Originally I wondered if i had jumped out of my comfort zone of JR/Spektrum

Albeit as previously posted there are a few more advantages of 2.2 even for Fixed Wing.

I only had two models (Fox and Phoenix 2M) on the Taranis but after the upgrade they were still there and the planes work as before so big issue. S8R turned up today and after scratching my head again as why I can't configure it I found that the Airlink USB decided on a Com Port already assigned. Changed that on the PC and clicked Open in the Frsky X6/8R Config Program and behold I can communicate with the receiver.

On one of the Tube videos I also found ways of assigning TX silders or knobs to reduce/increase/fine tune the gyro whilst in flight. BUT for now I'll stick to keeping it simple.:lol:

I am beginning to like this system....:unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14368 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Open TX
Onward and upward Phil! I've used Lemon Rx and Orange Rx stabilisers. I allocated one switch for stabiliser on/off. I think changing gyro gains in flight could be a bit difficult unless you have a helper on hand. Choosing a Frsky receiver isn't as easy as I thought either. I bought a Frsky XM+ receiver, thought its small size would be ideal for a small electric model. Turns out its designed to be connected to a flight controller for a quadcopter. No use for fixed wing at all.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #14375 by Phil Ford
I have spent most of the day playing with the S8R. Got it bound but using SXR Config V1.8, the latter appeared not to write to RX. This set me back a bit so download Ver1. That worked and I was able to calibrate the gyro. I then executed the Lua script on the TX and this time it found it first time, calibrated it, etc. :)

Now this is where I got lost a bit. You have to assign a switch to activate the stabiliser. Further switch movements can be assigned to modes of stabilisation. i have watched loads of videos and read tutorials but what is missing is how to assign channels. The manual says CH12 to activate and using channels like 10 & 11 for modes. My questions is do I initialise these Channels in Inputs and to what? MAX? Then switches need to be set up in Mixes I assume. I do get a list of Switches and L's and Lua's. But which of the latter is mine? Spent ages on this and finally gave it a rest/

Vario. Plug into Smart Port. LED flashing, discover new sensor on the TX and there it is and works. However, setting up the screen to display and speak altitude/speed I cannot find on the TX and a tutorial I was following seems to have a different Telemetry screen to the one I have in Companion 2.2.

All good fun ain't it.

Going flying tomorrow hopefully, I need a break.:lol:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #14473 by
Replied by on topic Open TX
Just updated to OTX 2.2, so far so good, actually it was surprisingly easy, I did the boot loader as well :) I can't honestly see any real difference between 2.1.9 and 2.2

I'm thinking of shifting a coupe of switches too, my momentary switch, which I use to give me a 'time left' is on the right hand side, and I think the left would be better.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14475 by Phil Ford
2.2 allows you to program the Gyro receivers S6R/S8R using in built lua scripts. Don't necessarily need the Companion. I have used both systems and appear to work just fine. Going to maiden Fox on Thursday (hopefully if I don't forget the wing bolts)using the Taranis and various modules.

I am still using the 1.6.xx bootloader

Sample of my otx file attached
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #14476 by
Replied by on topic Open TX

PhilF51 wrote: 2.2 allows you to program the Gyro receivers S6R/S8R using in built lua scripts.

Thanks Phil, I didn't know that ;) My reason for updating is to allow for a future hardware update.

Good luck with the Fox maiden, this is the Fly Fly model isn't it?

Regarding the bootloader, I don't think it's as important to keep it up to date, but it's very easy to do so why not.

The bootloaded is in the OTX firmware build you downloaded via Companion, the only slight annoyance is you need to truncate the name, so I went from:
opentx-x9e-eu-noheli-lua-en-2.2.0.bin to 2.2.0.bin

Just drop that into the Firmware folder on the TX SD card. Power up the TX, long duration button press on Menu, go to Page 2, go to [Firmware] scroll down to "2.2.0.bin" press enter and choose "Flash Bootloader" Done. And writing it out makes it look more complicated than it is.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds