Open TX

More
5 years 5 months ago #18351 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Open TX
My new sticks had a slight problem, the throttle stick caused "Throttle Warning" at switch on. Now I wish I'd made a note of how I stopped it. Apart from that they have a nice "feel". My only criticism is that I'd like them to be firmer. Perhaps there's a way to fit stronger springs. Didn't think to look on the forum, perhaps there's a tweak in there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #18352 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Open TX
The tensioner springs are paired together. one end on each has a screw that is not fully wound in. The flat spring strip gives you resistance and the other gives you the ratchet feeling (on the throttle stick gimbal)

I have set my throttle with very slight ratchet feel and light. The right stick has a bit more resistance. On the latter when I first took the gimbal out of the box, I needed a wrench to move the right-hand stick till I backed off the spring.:lol:
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
5 years 5 months ago #18353 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Open TX

Brian wrote: the throttle stick caused "Throttle Warning" at switch on. Now I wish I'd made a note of how I stopped it.

When you 'calibrate' the sticks you can pull the throttle stick below its normal resting low throttle position. The solution is to make sure you gently pull the throttle stick to its low throttle position whilst calibrating.

Brian wrote: My only criticism is that I'd like them to be firmer. Perhaps there's a way to fit stronger springs. Didn't think to look on the forum, perhaps there's a tweak in there.

As Phil has already pointed out, you can adjust the tension. But I found that they were still a little soft for my liking, so I replaced the M9 springs with the springs from the old gimbals. These springs are a couple of mm shorter and made a lot of difference to the feel of the sticks. It was a fiddly job, but well worth it, especially since I am using long sticks which have the effect of softening the feel anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
5 years 5 months ago #18365 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Open TX
Thanks Mike, didn't realise the original springs were shorter, I assumed it was the longer sticks of the X9E that were causing the difference in "feel".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #18401 by
Replied by on topic Open TX
Hi to all, I have come to the point of having to purchase a new TX. My Spectrum has finally failed. So I am looking for advise on what to buy? I have been looking at Futaba T6K v2 *ch also the Hitec Aurora 9X. of course I am still under training so as both of these have training listed in their spec perhaps they will match up to the clubs sets for training. What do you think chaps.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 5 months ago #18402 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Open TX
Ernie, I don't know why your title is Open TX. Open TX is open source software and the transmitters it can be installed on have to be programmed, a bit of a learning curve.

The two obvious choices here within this club are Spektrum or Futaba (leaving out Open TX and Frsky). We don't have any Hitec stuff either. Other members may throw their four cents worth in too due to brand bias but at the end of the day if buddy boxing is one of your primary needs then it has to be Spektrum. Not sure if our old Futabas are any good for slaves.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds