CAP232 Breitling

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4700 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic CAP232 Breitling
Thanks for all that info Jon. I was little concerned on some of the mixes because they don't always work as expected. I'll follow your suggestions to the letter. Yes it does makes sense. :lol: Thank you.

Now here is a big quandary and I need experienced advice for the following before committing to purchasing the engine? Judging by H9's old version the aircraft would be around 15.5 to 18lbs depending on equipment.

DLE40 Twin
Total Weight: 3.3 lb (1.50 kg)
RPM Range: 1500-8500
Output: 4.8 hp @ 8500 rpm

I used a scale image of the DLE40T printed on paper, (See images attached) cut it out where it matters, across the cylinders. Without spark plugs it is 180 mm wide. Laid the images inside and outside the cowl and it looks like it will drop in neatly. The only issue would be to not use the stand-offs but a 10mm ply spacer on the firewall to get the prop drive just proud of the cowl. But, is the engine going to be man enough at 4.8hp? I am not going 3D.

DLE55RA
Total Weight: 3.74 (1.7 kg)
RPM Range: 1,500-8,500
Output: 5.5 hp @ 8,500 rpm

The DLE55RA would fit perfectly at 171mm from standoffs to prop driver. Only job here would be to bore the firewall for the carb to partly sit in.

Once holes are drilled then I am committed!
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4701 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic CAP232 Breitling
Phil,If it was me i'd go for the DLE 55 nice mid range motor which will serve you well B)

More
8 years 11 months ago #4702 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic CAP232 Breitling

JonTappin wrote:

PhilF51 wrote: Anyways, many many thanks for mentioning switch supplied Dave. Saved the day.. :kiss:

Thought it was me Phil, Mr Bright always gets all the credit :angry:........... :) :)

:)

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4704 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic CAP232 Breitling
If you go with the twin you will have to make / source a 2 into 1 header, or run two headers and two exhausts, go with the 55 easier install and more power :evil: Whichever one you get you will need to get another exhaust as the one they come with are useless.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Chris73. Reason: cuz I can

More
8 years 11 months ago #4705 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic CAP232 Breitling
2nd the above opinions, 15-18lbs is too much for a 40cc twin for aeros, I would think absolute max weight for that for any sort of performance would be 13-14lbs, plus as Chris has said all the complication of an exhaust system for it.

My EF Edge is around 19-20lbs and I wasn't happy with a 56.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4706 by simondean
Replied by simondean on topic CAP232 Breitling
Go with the 55 as has been said before, your adding a bit of complication of 2 exhausts and extra weight for no real gain .nobody ever complains about too much power but being underpowered gives you real problems. It's easier to throttle back than fly flat out all the time .

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds