Phil's Phase 6 Build

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #17755 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
After going out to pick up some more PVA, CA, Aliphatic it was back to the Phase 6. Capped the front nose but cannot do any more to it till I get an idea of where the wing cover will align so I can blend the two in. So, started work on the other end. Slotted top balsa rail and inserted tail fin followed by the hard balsa fin post as a dry fit. Using the bottom of the wing saddle which is spot on, sat the spirit level on it, set fuselage to level and used a square to align the fin. Then glued it all in with PVA. Whilst that is now curing and idle hands I have capped the leading and trailing edges of the wings. Leave all this alone for the night. Tomorrow, assuming I don't go slope soaring ;) will enlarge the pre-cut servo bays, line them with balsa and make up servo base for Slim Wing servos, HS125MG. The advantage of these is that they screw down from above and don't need mounting posts.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #17756 by
Replied by on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Hi Phil, Which wing did you go for, symmetrical or none symmetrical? I'm sure I've already asked you, but can't remember.

More
5 years 7 months ago #17757 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Semi-symmetrical Phil went for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright,

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17761 by Phil Ford
Done a bit more today. Nose section profiled. Wing LE & TE are now profiled. Tail plane also profiled. The tail plane had to be profiled with a thinner leading edge but now slots into the fuselage neatly. Tail fin mostly profiled but needs a bit of filler at base to give it a smooth blended look. May have mis-read the instructions regarding the hatch. Had to slice it off again but not a big issue. I am attempting to use what came off or just make up new one to suit.

According to the leaflet I have put the wing bolt plate in the directed position but on checking with a wing on it is not under the wing at all. I think they are relying on the offcut of the aileron as the inboard back edge to hold the wing down. That doesn't sound a good idea to me.

Next job is to open up the servo bays for the HS125s and slots for the servo leads followed by lining the bays.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17762 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Looking good, Phil. Regarding the wing bolt...the aileron offcut will create the trailing edge of the wing. The centre section will then be glassed which creates a solid surface for the bolt.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by MikeSeale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #17764 by Phil Ford
I thought that myself Mike but was not sure of it's suitability to do the job. But as you said the glassed centre section will hold it secure.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds