Phil's Phase 6 Build

More
5 years 7 months ago #17765 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Good progress Phil - A lot of profiling going on, that's what happens when you watch detective series, however the
current weather does have an upside - more workshop time.
Please get rid of that dam cat, it keeps staring at me !!!!

Colin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #17781 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
After a little break at Cashmoor this morning it was time to open up the servo bays and line them. In the bottom of the bay is some lite-ply for the slim wing servos to screw to. I used a disc cutter to cut through the veneer them ground out the foam with the dremel. (I had the vacuum cleaner hose nearby to catch the fine particles and partly because my wife had tidied and vacuumed up the work room earlier). ;) The linings and base plate are now PVA'd in and curing.

Meanwhile, while the glue pot is in use, I will repair the wing mounting plate on the fuselage on the big wing after contact with terra firma on Tuesday's rubbish jaunt on the slope.
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #17782 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Very disappointed you haven't mitred the servo boxes a la Grommet.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17784 by Phil Ford

kevinross wrote: Very disappointed you haven't mitred the servo boxes a la Grommet.

Once the recesses where cut out to size, I just cut the linings to suit the aperture. Life's too short so if it looks right and does the job. Have not got a mitre box that small anyway. No-one is going to see it at 300 ft. :P
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #17805 by Phil Ford
A bit of multi-tasking day today. Sort ballast out on zagi. Rummage around in my odds n sods box for another motor adapter and fit fit new pusher prop on Superwing. Time to get dusty!

Slotted the wings for the servo leads, next job connected servo extensions. Tested servos that they actually work and then test fit them. So far so good so then having ran out of 1/4 x 1/4 balsa strip I sliced some strips from a1/4 plank at 3/16ths. Then inlaid and glued the strips into the wing. Screwed servos lightly in place for now. A few cups of tea later I have sanded down the inlaid strips level with wing.

Made some slots for the control rod exits in the fuselage. The guide tubes cross over internally to keep the the slight curve to a minimum.

Tomorrow I am planning on gluing the wings together and then apply the glass bandage including the inboard trailing edge. With this done I can get an idea of profiling the wing cover. Once the wing can be test fitted I can then fit and align the tailplane.
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #17967 by Phil Ford
Last week glassed the wing join, glued on the wing tips, sanded the tips down to near the shape they should be. Checked the wing against the fuselage and spotted a human error. The centre trailing edge does not sit on the fuselage saddle, about 6mm too high.That's what happens when you rely on the trailing edge strip. Only one thing for it - using a cutting wheel slice through the glass on the top side and down into the balsa. I can now flex the centre section a little and infill with a tiny wedge of balsa glued in. Then re-glass the area.

The rain is still streaming down the windows so what can I do now? Drilled the wings, tailplane and rudder for pivot hinges including a slight counterbore to allow for the hinge knuckle. Only an hour or so passed and rain still falling. Then decided to cover the the control surfaces, and then find the recesses for the hinges and re-open up the holes which took up the rest of the afternoon. Servo tray installed too.

Guide tubes temporarily installed but will be secured once the fuselage has been covered. I now realise I have nearly every colour possible except White Oracover.:(
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds