Phil's Phase 6 Build

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago #18068 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build

Brian wrote: When are you going to fix the twig, piece of balsa from Kevin's crashed model, and lots of 50mm glass tape?

Unfortunately it fell of while trying to recover the wing.;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago #18069 by Phil Ford

joneb wrote: A easy solution to too much resin is to cover the wet fibre glass with toilet paper and use a roller to get it to absorb the excess resin then peal it off. There are several you tube video's that show this technique. Iv'e used it but try it on a bit of scrap first works with epoxy
See this post. RC Groups.

I read that one and even watched a video too using toilet roll. So many conflicting approaches too Some say never thin epoxy. Some say brush the resin on and card flatten the mat. Some say lay cloth and roll resin into it. Some say resin is not your friend!
Anyway, I have just done the other side as dinner is late tonight. Lay cloth, use roller to push the resin along. Seems to have worked great, no excess resin and laid down nice.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #18070 by
Replied by on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Hi Phil,

What weight of glass cloth did you use and what resin? Did you weigh the wing before glassing? It would be interesting to know how much weight it adds.

And ae you going to spray it? or will covering film adhere to the glass/epoxy?

More
5 years 6 months ago #18071 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Some people leave a glassed wing 'plain' to show off the lovely veneer. But paint is usually applied. Film would not stick to glass.

Looking good so far, Phil

More
5 years 6 months ago #18072 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/polyc.html
I covered a foam model once with this + lightweight cloth and seem to remember it did rather well.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #18073 by Phil Ford

Chris001 wrote: Hi Phil, What weight of glass cloth did you use and what resin? Did you weigh the wing before glassing? It would be interesting to know how much weight it adds.
And are you going to spray it? or will covering film adhere to the glass/epoxy?

No idea on wing weight Chris and anyway it had two Hitec slim wing mg servos installed. Glass cloth was from RC World 25gram/mtr www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/RC-Worlds-Lig...RCW4838.html#SID=114 Zap finishing resin, virtually no smell unlike GRP resin which when I was repairing a cowl stunk the whole house for a day much to my wife's dismay. :( ;)

Using the roller method was easy and therefore the underside came out much much better than the top. Learning fast here! After a few hours I just trimmed off excess cloth and carefully cut away cloth above servo bays. Using the roller you only apply resin where you want cloth to stick

Once primed and sanded, the former discloses any pin holes and highs n lows, then prime again and then wet n dry. Followed by a few coats of Halford's finest acrylic car paints. Hundreds of colours to choose from! Well, that's the plan :lol:

With the wing earlier set on to the fuselage and the securing bolt and captured nut installed I can now finalise sanding on the fuselage too and permanently install the hardware. Cannot decide whether to film cover fuselage or glass that as well. Might toss a coin on that one.

Veneer looks nice Mike bringing out the grain but I don't want to show off......:lol: Might not be too visible at height though.

davidbright wrote: www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/polyc.html
I covered a foam model once with this + lightweight cloth and seem to remember it did rather well.

Yes Dave, seen a few videos on this method. Easy to clean up too being water based. maybe a HK Phoenix wing glassed with this stuff in the future?
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds