Phil's Phase 6 Build

More
5 years 6 months ago #18074 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Phil

It would be worth glassing the fus for extra strength. The Phase 6 fus being ply is strong anyway, but if you break them, they are really hard keep straight when you repair them as the ply is hard to manipulate and rejoin, trust me I know from painful experience :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #18075 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
I was thinking the same thing Jon. No runways on slopes! Landing is the most testing time for glider and pilot ;) . For the extra work with glassing I think I will follow your advice. Better order in some more Zap.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #18096 by Phil Ford
Well after making a few errors or "learning curve" as it is called, now got the wing coated with primer-filler. Now shows me more things to do. The leading edge balsa now appears to be NOT level with wing surface yet I spent ages sanding that area down.:( So now had to wait for the primer to cure through. Flatted down with added lite filler paste, flattened down again. Still faintly showing through. :( Would've been so much easier to have Profilmed the wing. Gone back over once again and a bit better but not perfect. If I keep sanding I will end up going through veneer. 800 Wet n Dry and now a smooth finish mostly. Had enough for the day!
Attachments:

More
5 years 6 months ago #18109 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
When you've sprayed the wing with a satin finish it'll hardly show at all. There's nothing wrong with a "twenty foot" finish. Looking good though, keep it going!

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago #18110 by Phil Ford

Brian wrote: When you've sprayed the wing with a satin finish it'll hardly show at all. There's nothing wrong with a "twenty foot" finish

It will be a gloss finish so maybe make that 25 foot. :lol: If it flies nice that will make me happy.

If I keep fiddling I will either break through the skinning or worse still a TFU.. Thanks for your support Brian. ;)

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #18184 by Phil Ford
It has been a bit slow recently. A few mistakes plus the sudden cold weather has curtailed working outside and also spray painting. Plus my enthusiasm. I now have some form of ARF. The wing is painted (Appliance White) The control surfaces are covered with Profilm and pin hinge holes were made prior to covering.

Using Epoxy resin for glassing I was able to do complete the fuselage indoors (no smell). Yesterday I managed to get it rubbed down, and a coat of High Build primer on it. This afternoon I made a quick sortie outside so I could wet n dry the primer. A few dents to fill but it will do.

Now waiting for some better temperature days so I can put the final colour on.. After that I can started putting in the hardware. Meanwhile, I can get the control surfaces located.

If I was to factor in my man hours at my going rate I could've bought a full blown composite ARF. ;)
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds