Fsky Taranis X9D Plus

More
6 years 5 months ago #14886 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
I'm a little confused? Why do you need to flash the receiver?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14887 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Mike, it seems to be an important part of the binding process. According to the website, it needs a special lead, the connection to the Taranis has the +ve and -ve pins reversed. I've assumed that connecting the receiver in this way will ensure that it "talks" to the transmitter. I'm afraid that the more I try to gt the Taranis x9d+ into a usable state, the more it evades being harnessed. A few minutes ago, I got so frustrated with the never ending problems, I formatted the sd card. Now I have a mindless Taranis.
Tomorrow, all that might change.If it doesn't, well I'll chalk one up to lack of experience.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14888 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Brian, if the receiver firmware matches the transmitter firmware you will be able to bind them together. The transmitter should have EU-LBT firmware unless it is an old radio running International firmware. Before trying to flash the receiver, I'd see if it will bind to the transmitter. If it binds then you know it has matching firmware.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14890 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Not to pile on the agony Brian.;) I assume you regularly copy the contents of your SD card (especially the two bin files) to a folder on your PC. You also "save as" in Companion the current working otx file to another folder called "my back-up" or similar. This way your TX and PC are synchronised. Whenever I make any significant changes I back up the original file every time first - just in case.

There is a little USB dongle for a few quid which is used to flash the RX. But if you have bought a new receiver you should not need it. Unless the developers make a big firmware change in the future.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 5 months ago #14891 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Thanks Mike and Phil. I assumed I'd need to flash the receiver as it isn't a new one, and the firmware of the transmitter has been changed to version 2.2.0

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14892 by
Replied by on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Hi Brian,

I think there is still some confusion between Software and Firmware.

Your radio is running OpenTX 2.2 this is the operating system like Windows on your computer.
The Firmware is the bit of code that controls a specific bit of electronics such as the receiver and the transmitter module in your radio (on a computer it's the bit of code that's inside your printer). Usually this doesn't need to be touched, it just works. and you should not have to upgrade the firmware on transmitter module or receivers when upgrading to a different version of OpenTX.

You bought your equipment second hand, and unfortunately there is no way of knowing which version of the firmware is on your equipment, and as FrSky introduced the LBT EU firmware in the not too distant past it makes sense to bring all your equipment up today prior to using it, and therefore not need to worry about any future RX purchases as they will be compatible with your TX module. You said you were 'EU compliant' many many posts back, so there is no need to repeat the procedure.

However two posts back you describe the lead you need to make up to flash the RX, if you have only just discovered you need the lead you cannot have updated your RX's! But quite possibly you did update the transmitter module as this can be done within the radio, if you are confident that you have done this, I would suggest the first thing you do once you get the SD card contents back that you try binding. If it binds then both the transmitter module and RX have to have compatible firmware, therefore no need to do anything more.

I hope this helps, Chris
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by .

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds