Fsky Taranis X9D Plus

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #13973 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
As I reply I see Chris has already. He has made a valid point.

Brian here is my view FWIW. I have a JR DSX9. Love it. Had it 8 years now. It has done what I have asked for it without issues. Taranis X9D. Looks similar to DSX9, feels the same in my hands but with more switches and knobs and a third of the retail price.

I have only had it 10 days and have spent some serious hours playing with it. Initially I was doubtful whether at my time of life I could handle the learning curve. A took a few days for the new way of doing things to sink in plus a little help from others that have already gone Frsky and endless hours of reading a Start Guide.

Using a PC based program OpenTX Companion 2, Makes life really easy. you can program it and see some of the results on a simulated screen. You can create a new model from the "wizard" and then edit it for your needs. Then if you are happy you save the model to the radio and backup goes to PC. You make another edit and totally cock it up. Damn. Bring up the backup and rewrite to radio. Having a backup makes you feel a bit more secure. And the fact it can so much more than other TXs.

The other main reason is JR are no more, I don't like Futaba and the other alternatives are too expensive. I have also gone to Taranis for voice alerts, Telemetry and add ons are relatively inexpensive.

That's my personal view. I'll be keeping the JR though. At preset I am moving (attempting ;) ) to put my gliders on it for starters and later any thing else that could do with telemetry. Plus the bonus is having a "backup" of all your models and settings stored at home so when you cock up something on the TX at the field you can recover it as it was.
There is a Getting Started Manual but the pdf is quite large for the Forum The other manual is YouTube for one and of course other dedicated Forums.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13974 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Hi Chris, yes I did have an incident with Spektrum DSMX last year. The transmitter was newly upgraded by Horizon Hobby, the receiver was brand new and had two extra satellites. The model took off and I flew it for one climbing circuit, on the second pass, while turning crosswind, the model stopped responding, after a couple of seconds the engine stopped. On retrieval, I couldn't reproduce the fault. Apart from one flyaway on 35 Meg, all my accidents have been with Spektrum receivers while using either a Spektrum DX8 or JR DSX9 transmitter. Looking back over the years, I had a lot of problems programming my Futaba FF8, but I never lost a model. Perhaps it's just a coincidence though? There's a Kiwi chap does a series of videos called RC Model Reviews. According to him, the Taranis is head and shoulders above everything else on the market, in spite of the fact that he got a dud one from HobbyKing.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13975 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
I don't know if it is available as a pdf, but there is a printed manual for OpenTX available in the USA
OpenTX manual

More
6 years 7 months ago #13976 by MikeSeale
Brian. If you feel the need to change to FrSky there is an option that does not require the steep learning curve of OpenTX. The FrSky Horus X12 and Horus X10 both use FrSky's own menu-driven operating system, FrOS.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13977 by MikeSeale
And if I was thinking of changing to FrSky now I would either:
1. Dip my toe in the water as cheaply as possible with the Q7 transmitter to see if I could get on with OpenTX. The input scroll wheel and buttons are a lot easier to use and make changes than the six buttons on the Taranis.
2. Jump in and get the Horus X10. Then see if the FrOS suits my needs or change the firmware to OpenTX.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #13978 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Fsky Taranis X9D Plus
Brian I have attached a file. OpenTX Companion 2.1.9 It is for Windows (I am using it on Win10) Download it and install. Have play with it. It has a Simulator built in which will give you an idea of each setting you make and how it works. This will pass the time easily. Scratch head at first but hopefully the lights come on......:lol:

Ah! Cannot upload an exe file. Here is the link to it www.open-tx.org/2016/09/15/opentx-2.1.9 You can choose Windows or MAC or even Linux
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds